A fair price for my Mayfair

Miriam

I am selling my Mayfair (for those not familiar, Wheatsstone made an "economical" instrument in the 1950's, and that's what this is), which I bought from the Button Box for $1000 six years ago. It's served me really well but I'm upgrading. It plays quite well though the leather and the case have gotten a little worn since I've had it. One of the little metal gadgets that keeps the hand strap (the belt buckle type)at the size you want it is broken but I've rigged it up so it works for my hand.

Can anyone suggest a fair price based on this information?

I'll be at Catskill Irish Arts Week if anyone would like to see it. I think it's a fine instrument for a beginning player. Thanks!

Miriam

I am selling my Mayfair (for those not familiar, Wheatsstone made an "economical" instrument in the 1950's, and that's what this is), which I bought from the Button Box for $1000 six years ago. It's served me really well but I'm upgrading. It plays quite well though the leather and the case have gotten a little worn since I've had it. One of the little metal gadgets that keeps the hand strap (the belt buckle type)at the size you want it is broken but I've rigged it up so it works for my hand.

I'll be at Catskill Irish Arts Week if anyone would like to see it. I think it's a fine instrument for a beginning player. Thanks!

Mayfair prices seem to vary quite a bit. Is yours an Anglo or an English?

"hand strap (the belt buckle type)" would make it an anglo.

Yes, it's an anglo.

30 buttons, I assume? It's probably worth more than a Mayfair English, but it's still hard to say. I've seen these go for quite a range of prices on eBay. I suspect that the higher prices were the result of bidding wars by people who didn't realize that Mayfairs have accordion reeds and are not normal Wheatstones.

These don't come on the market often enough to have a "standard" price. If it's a good player, $1000 sounds like a reasonable asking price to me, especially if you get the handstrap replaced or properly repaired first. But you may have to settle for less.

Yes, it's an anglo.

30 buttons, I assume? It's probably worth more than a Mayfair English, but it's still hard to say. I've seen these go for quite a range of prices on eBay. I suspect that the higher prices were the result of bidding wars by people who didn't realize that Mayfairs have accordion reeds and are not normal Wheatstones.

These don't come on the market often enough to have a "standard" price. If it's a good player, $1000 sounds like a reasonable asking price to me, especially if you get the handstrap replaced or properly repaired first. But you may have to settle for less.

30 buttons, that's right. Thanks, Daniel. I didn't know whether it would appreciate or depreciate in the time I've had it. Meanwhile, I'll see about getting the handstrap gadget replaced or repaired.

Miriam

There's a loverley mayfair english on ebay at the mo ... no bids yet. HERE

I think these mayfairs in MOT (mother of toiletseat) are so kitsch that I'm always tempted to bid (after all a black concertina with black bellows can be so boooring ;) )

Chris

I thought I saw another go passed a few weeks ago - metal ended, but no sign of it now (I think the spelling may have wrong, so my quick search hasn't found it)

Edited by spindizzy

• 2 months later...
Yes, it's an anglo.

30 buttons, that's right. Thanks, Daniel. I didn't know whether it would appreciate or depreciate in the time I've had it. Meanwhile, I'll see about getting the handstrap gadget replaced or repaired.

A metal-ended 30-button Mayfair Anglo just sold on eBay for 330 British pounds (about $510 US) - so perhaps I overestimated the value earlier..

*PEDANT WARNING*

Some years ago, I was soundly admonished by a well known (former?) collector of concertinas for writing the name of these late Wheatstone models as Mayfair, and I do now tend to agree that they should be more correctly referred to as May Fair; i.e. two seperate words. That is how it appears on concertina end-covers, and also in some contemporary advertising material.

It would seem to have no connection with the famous London district of Mayfair, except that it, too, has apparently lost its separate-words origin.

I hear the cry of "Whocares?"

Well, other pedants might.... :) :rolleyes:

*PEDANT WARNING*

Some years ago, I was soundly admonished by a well known (former?) collector of concertinas for writing the name of these late Wheatstone models as Mayfair, and I do now tend to agree that they should be more correctly referred to as May Fair; i.e. two seperate words. That is how it appears on concertina end-covers, and also in some contemporary advertising material.

It would seem to have no connection with the famous London district of Mayfair, except that it, too, has apparently lost its separate-words origin.

I hear the cry of "Whocares?"

Well, other pedants might.... :) :rolleyes:

I care. One wouldn't want to appear illiterate.

Guest HallelujahAl!

Quite right - I've just restored an English for someone and it's definitely 'The May Fair' - a model that was designed for the growing folk market in the 60s perhaps? By the way, I'm REALLY impressed at how good it sounds, the accordion type reeds are top notch. I had to make new thumbstraps for it and give the bellows a rebind - with new pads and valves it's a superb little box, and perfect for folk. The reeds are really fast and very responsive. I've been quite critical of them in the past - I take it all back - The May Fair is a great box and one that I'd love to own.

AL

Edited by HallelujahAl!