How far can you file a reed up to pitch

Hi, My name is Earl, relatively new to this forum. I have a very cheap concertina that I got for free. and something in me has always wanted to change the "helper row" the third row on my C/G Anglo into an an F row. so I am starting by moving around any of the reeds that I have (mind you I just figured out how to take the darned thing apart) but I want the F row to go like F/G A/Bb C/D for the left side. the closest reed I seem to have is an E/F key at the far left of the row, what I want to to is flip it around so the F is on the push and file the E up to a G. would it be better to use my G/B key (which is possibly broken) and try to weigh down the B with solder to sound an F note? I am so green to this you wouldn't believe but my fiddle's in the shop this week and am playing with this concertina now. It's basically a toy and has accordion reeds so I'm not too concerned with messing up the reed (I don't ever play that key in it's current position anyway) but I just thought maybe somebody would have some insight to which would be better, I don't have a soldering gun (yet) or solder so it would be easier to file, but I was worried about how the reed would vibrate through the slot if I filed it too much. but of course I read that you should file the top of the reed and not alter the width or length so it shouldn't be an issue. unless i end up turning the reed into a piece of paper from filing too far.

Hopefully one of the experts will be along shortly! I've only changed the pitch of accordion reeds. It depends on the reed, of course, but up a semitone seems to be about as much as is comfortable. Going down by a tone is generally ok, a bit more with solder weighting. Don't know what country you're in but Theo Gibb at www.theboxplace.co.uk was able to supply a few miscellaneous reeds I needed for a project.

... the closest reed I seem to have is an E/F key at the far left of the row, what I want to to is flip it around so the F is on the push and file the E up to a G.

There are no hard and fast rules on this, but it could be ok. One tip, if you plan to take E/F up to F/G it may be better to take the E up to F, and the F up to G. You will need a good quality fine swiss file, Valorbe is a good make. You can also use a home made sanding stick with abrasive paper glued onto a flat wooden stick. These are cheap to make, but cut more slowly than a file, and are less likely to cause damage. A useful approach is to get hold of a scrap accordion and practice on those reeds. It will also give you a useful supply of spare reeds.

would it be better to use my G/B key (which is possibly broken) and try to weigh down the B with solder to sound an F note? ...

The B will have to go down to F - 5 semitones, probably not a good idea, but try it, you can always take the solder off again.

Don't use a good quality file for removing solder, it clogs the teeth of the file and is very difficult to remove.

Hey, thanks for the responses! I must have forgot to mention that they appear to be accordion reeds (I looked at some pictures???) they have square casings (the metal piece the reed is attatched to) so that's the only thing I can really recognize that makes it an accordion reed. A buddy has a busted concertina that's garbage to him so maybe he'll let me use it for parts for a small fee? hmm, this is quite a good hobby I am finding, very satisfying to learn new things!