Rhythm Experiment

Alan Day

Rightee ho Al,

now tuning up.... crank crank..... gratt gratt.....

No seriously, this is nice,I will give it a try and yes on the H/Gurdy.

I am finding it easier to make new tunes on the H/Gurdy than on concertina but I have not managed to convince any of the locals to try out these creations, YET.

I must go back and listen to your original version of what I thought was "All Day Breakfast".... which I had avoided for health reasons.

Around here it is all Sol/Do (G/C) music but we have (D/G) pipes and Hurdy Gurdy too. Always interested to try new tunes and the dancers are keen to have something fresh to inspire them.

I will have to pluck up the courage to send in a "morceau" or two if I can learn how to WAV or MP3 in a correct way to attach. I am fairly computer ignorant but "we" have come a long way since that terrible cassette I sent you in 2006.

Sun is shining, at last, must cut the grass,

Salut,

Geoff.

Rightee ho Al,

now tuning up.... crank crank..... gratt gratt.....

No seriously, this is nice,I will give it a try and yes on the H/Gurdy.

I am finding it easier to make new tunes on the H/Gurdy than on concertina but I have not managed to convince any of the locals to try out these creations, YET.

I must go back and listen to your original version of what I thought was "All Day Breakfast".... which I had avoided for health reasons.

Around here it is all Sol/Do (G/C) music but we have (D/G) pipes and Hurdy Gurdy too. Always interested to try new tunes and the dancers are keen to have something fresh to inspire them.

I will have to pluck up the courage to send in a "morceau" or two if I can learn how to WAV or MP3 in a correct way to attach. I am fairly computer ignorant but "we" have come a long way since that terrible cassette I sent you in 2006.

Sun is shining, at last, must cut the grass,

Salut,

Geoff.

Not terrible at all Geoff it was a near miss which up against some the Worlds best shows how good you are.

You were one of the stars of The Black Horse we were very sad to lose you to Australia.

Al

Truly Al,

your kindness is an inspiration. You are welcome here when next in Limousin and I must make a trip back to S.E. England, after all the TGV leaves every morning from our local station, change in Lille, straight into London.

I am trying to transfer a 3 time Bourrée, to Concertina, that I made on H/gurdy. It's a minor key piece(Cm or Gm depending on instrumets used) with 4 parts! Maybe that is why I have yet to interest my neighbours " it's tooo esoteric?"

We did, however, have great success in introducing a Kerry Slide to our local dance band for dancing the Chappeloise. This 12/8 time feels better for some of the 'circle' dances than using 6/8 Irish jigs, which is not an uncommom practice, but one that can make our teeth hurt due to the straightening out of the internal rhythm.

Hmmmm.... I am very fussy about the playing of Irish music so I must be very carefull how I make my Bourrées.... I'll work on it some more...

What do you use for recording yourself ?

Well I must go and buy a new B-B-Q.... it is getting hot here,

Cheers,

Geoff.

Truly Al,

your kindness is an inspiration. You are welcome here when next in Limousin and I must make a trip back to S.E. England, after all the TGV leaves every morning from our local station, change in Lille, straight into London.

I am trying to transfer a 3 time Bourrée, to Concertina, that I made on H/gurdy. It's a minor key piece(Cm or Gm depending on instrumets used) with 4 parts! Maybe that is why I have yet to interest my neighbours " it's tooo esoteric?"

We did, however, have great success in introducing a Kerry Slide to our local dance band for dancing the Chappeloise. This 12/8 time feels better for some of the 'circle' dances than using 6/8 Irish jigs, which is not an uncommom practice, but one that can make our teeth hurt due to the straightening out of the internal rhythm.

Hmmmm.... I am very fussy about the playing of Irish music so I must be very carefull how I make my Bourrées.... I'll work on it some more...

What do you use for recording yourself ?

Well I must go and buy a new B-B-Q.... it is getting hot here,

Cheers,

Geoff.

Geoff

I use a Zoom 4 but I have had a number of recordings in on Zoom two's and Edirol's all equally as good and when sound engineered sounds fine.

Send the bourree over if you need any assistance ,I will be pleased to help.

Jazz style music for Schottiche's seem to be great fun and get the dancers leaping about,as much as you will get with French Dancers that is. The most striking between English and French dancing is the Polka. The French are very sedate and controlled whereas the English seem to almost circle the room with a few strides leaping high in the air as they go.

AlDay Breakfast can now be found as the first tune on the Minor Set.

Al

Ok Al,

Edirol we have... Gabi uses it for her Cornemuse lessons and general gathering of new tunes, but I don't know what she has it set to (WAV. MP3 etc) so Maybe I will get a ZOOM4 and learn how to use it.

The problem with my Bourrée is that whilst it sounds quite intense and 'traditional' on the H/gurdy, when transfered to the concertina there are definate nuances of English balade singing as in 'the boy meets sister in the forest and murders her because he has made her pregnant' type of thing. It is strange and very interesting how a melody can sound so different from one instrument to another.

Cheers for now,

Geoff.

From past postings many of you know I like experimenting with rhythms

Here is Alday Breakfast as Alday Bourree

Get yer Hurdy Gurdy tuned up again Geoff.

Al :)

Bourrée nice, as usual, Al. Bourrée n. An old French dance resembling the gavotte, usually in quick duple time beginning with an upbeat.

Chris