Construction of a Early Crabb/ Jeffries

The past few months i've been comparing concertinas and studying the construction of different makes. I've noticed that in an old c. jeffries stamped 38 button anglo that the wood to make the action box is very dark. I originally thought most of the wood was maple but are there other possibilities it could be? A hard mahogany? Maybe its just got darker over time. Also just wondering but could the reed pan / bellows frame be any thing other than maple? Any ways i throw it over to the experts again.

Any info greatly appreciated,

Sean

The two I know which had the red wood also had the keyhole ( I was calling them "penguin" until I heard "keyhole") pivots. I can't recall the detail but someone, it might have been the Wizard of Kilkee, mentioned a name associated with these features, one of the manufacturers whose instruments were stamped Jeffries. Another feature both had was; one of the partitions alongside one of the horizontal reeds was placed on an angle, leaning over towards the tip of the nearby vertical reed. I think this was to make enough room in a small chamber for the padhole.

Chris

Sean,

As regards the orientation of the instrument and what is horizontal or vertical, convention has it the "top" of the instrument is the point where the name cartouche lies. All through the instrument the number or some other marker indicates this same direction. If you revolve yours this way you will have a pan full of vertical reeds, running with the grain, and a couple of reeds in the horizontal, and yes, reed/s in the centre of the pan.

Chris

yep thats it. sorry i'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to stuff like that. they are certainly running with grain. but i just found it strange with the different types of wood. Just wondering but would they have used any other types of wood that was out of the ordinary in any other concertinas you may have come across?