Somebody is Dreaming!

Paul Read

Where is Stephen these days anyway?

Missing, presumed having a good time having very recently become engaged to be married. Oh, and to my immense surprise I'm assured that this auction is absolutely genuine and that's from the horses mouth! The concertina in question changed hands some time ago and the new owner needs to sell it apparently. I consider the asking price to be ambitious to say the least!

Gold is worth more than $1000.00 an ounce.....are there nearly 20 ounces of gold in this concertina??? I wonder if there was a TYPO and the seller wanted to start the bidding at $2,000.00???

Where is Stephen these days anyway?

Missing, presumed having a good time having very recently become engaged to be married. Oh, and to my immense surprise I'm assured that this auction is absolutely genuine and that's from the horses mouth! The concertina in question changed hands some time ago and the new owner needs to sell it apparently. I consider the asking price to be ambitious to say the least!

That's nice; I'm pleased for him. (and if you read this Stephen, I wish you and your intended all the very best)

I'm amazed that he sold this concertina though; he was so pleased with it when he got it, he seemed to be touring arround showing it off at every opportunity. It is a unique instrument, I've no doubt of that. Does S have a fickle side we never saw? Do we have a duty to warn his fiancé????

And Fatbellows, I'm not saying it isn't an excessive amount of money but, in the grand scale of things, I would get far more pleasure out of a decent concertina than a new truck!

Stephen turned up at The George with a gold plated concertina owned by Alf Edwards and I had a play on it.

Al

I was at the same session and had a play on it too! It seems that Stephen has sold it to his best friend Anthony Green, in the meantime. I bumped into Anthony recently at the Islington Folk Club. (Steve Turner was appearing) He told me that he had recently had two concertinas overhauled by Steve Dickenson at a cost of £800 each (re-pad, re-valve, re-tune) but didn't say what type of concertinas they were, though I know Anthony plays the English system himself. The ex-Alf Edwards concertina was obviously one of the two he had overhauled. Personally, I think he is being a bit optimistic with his starting price. I doubt Neil Wayne can afford to buy it to add it to his collection. :rolleyes: I recently met someone who owns 8 English concertinas and other memorabilia that once belonged to a famous music hall act. Just think what this collection could be worth?

Chris

Btw if you'd like to see this concertina in action then watch a DVD of the movie "A Night to Remember". About a 1/4 of the way through there is a dance scene in the steerage commons area with fiddle and concertina providing the music. Without a doubt it is Alf Edwards' concertina gold paint and all! After viewing the scene a number of times I believe Alf was the player dressed in country tweed and sporting a mustache.

Greg

...gold paint and all!

I hate to be pedantic, but are you sure about the gold paint, Greg?

Surely the film was shot in black and white monochrome???????

MC

Malcolm,

I'm about as sure of the gold as I am that some of the Irish colleens in the movie had red hair!?!

Although the bellows were in better shape in the movie than in the ebay photos the "gold leaving" is still evident. So I feel no gilt in my obsrvation! :P

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas