Koot Brits C/G for sale

Paul Read

Built ot my own specifications with brass reeds frames and rivetted action. The first of 3 I've ordered for the North American market and it's a beauty. One of the only rivetted action Brits currently in existence (usually they have 50s Wheatstone type action). I think that Brits instruments have now made the next step and are a great instrument. The action and response are fast and it has a great loud sound. Perfect for Irish sessions. This one is brand new. It is 30-button, metal ends and buttons, C/G, Wheatstone layout, 6-fold bellows. Offers in the region of $3,000 for a brand new real concertina at a price in the region of a hybrid. It will go on ebay in a week or two if not sold here. Pictures will be added soon.

Edited by Paul Read

Here is a link to a YouTube video clip of a Koot Brits C/G anglo concertina that is being played by Piet Visser, a member of C.net forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j3PiZhNeQY&feature=related

Koot (short for Jacob) has been building concertinas for more than 30 years.

If one could only get him to start building concertinas similar to Dipper County Clare concertinas or Tedrow Zephyrs....

Edited by Ben

Thanks for the info. I live on a small Island and don't get out much.

I wonder if the name Britts comes from the fact he is of British discent.

I got this from Ancestry.com.

"Britt Name Meaning and History. English: ethnic name for a Celtic-speaking Briton or a Breton, from Middle English brit, bret.

OK so he's not in England. You have to admit, my assumptions were not without merit..cool.gif

I read in a baby name dictionary that the name Britt is short for Brigit, the Irish goddess of light and poetry.

In Dutch, for real pirates (back in 1600) a "Brit" is not a luxuary bed but something simple to sleep on (on a boat or in a camp). I quess that they did not mean somebody from Brittain. Or do you think they are simple to sleep on?? :D

In Dutch, for real pirates (back in 1600) a "Brit" is not a luxuary bed but something simple to sleep on (on a boat or in a camp).

What Americans call a "cot"?

Edited to add: Or a "bunk"?

Edited by JimLucas

Hi,

I'm afraid 'brits' (in Dutch) could formerly mean many things, apparently.

Other than a wooden bench for sleeping, 'brits' can mean your bottom - and the verb britten to be slapped on your bottom, especially as a punishment for sailors, a britter being the person who does it to you. Strangely, britsen could also mean 'persons who're having luck'. And in the former Dutch Indies, it had yet other meanings... (something like 'acting bold or decisive').

Finally, brits were sailor boots.

So, mr. Brits may never know - or to take a more positive view, he can pick the explanation he likes best.

Cheers, Mark

Edited by MarkvN

Other than a wooden bench for sleeping, 'brits' can mean your bottom - and the verb britten to be slapped on your bottom, especially as a punishment for sailors, a britter being the person who does it to you.

In that case, I don't think I'd want to admit I was a britter. (Not a good pickup line) And I certainly wouldn't want to be britten.

What's up with those Dutch sailors anyway? Too long on the boat?

How great that you're introducing his instruments to this continent! I'm not in a position to buy it, but have heard only good about Koot Brits's concertinas. Will the other 2 also be c/g instruments? Are the 6 fold bellows per your request?

Janet