jeffries Anglo at Bonhams

michael sam wild

Is it out of the question to suppose that a leading "1" might have escaped notice?

The 'leading one' sometimes gets lost on six figure Lachenal numbers, but as this is an Edeo, it must be roughly 1900 or later. Anglo numbers at this time are estimated to be around 150,000. A 14,000 number would be around the 1870s. So Geoff Crabb's answer seems to be the best explanation so far.

Is it out of the question to suppose that a leading "1" might have escaped notice?

In one of the photos on the auction web site, I can read the serial number myself. It's engraved into the metal end, and there's no room for an "overlooked" digit.

The 'leading one' sometimes gets lost on six figure Lachenal numbers, but as this is an Edeo, it must be roughly 1900 or later. Anglo numbers at this time are estimated to be around 150,000. A 14,000 number would be around the 1870s. So Geoff Crabb's answer seems to be the best explanation so far.

That's what I was thinking too. Geoff's answer also suggests that this was a special order and that Lachenal did not normally produce Edeophone Anglos, and that sounds plausible to me too - at any rate, I've not heard of another one.

• 2 weeks later...

Something intriguing here.

The description included, "Engraved Edeophone Anglo Lachenal & Co. London WC (on one endplate) and 4860 (on the other endplate)"

4860 as the serial number for an
Edeophone
anglo?

In the normal sequence of Lachenal anglo serial numbers, that number should be decades before the very first Edeophone (regardless of anglo/English/duet). Could Edeophone anglos have had a run of numbers independent of other anglos? But a production run of nearly 5000 Edeophone anglos also seems unlikely, since Edeophone anglos are almost unknown.

So I wonder, could that instrument have been built originally as a duet, but then converted to an anglo? I've seen an Edeophone Crane duet with serial number 4218.

I'm currently restoring a 55 key Crane duet numbered 4680. Had to look twice to ensure it wasn't 4860.... :-)

Edited by malcolm clapp