Norhteast Squeeze-in

The Squeeze-In is great, as far as I'm concerned. It is great for trying other kinds of instruments and hearing them played at every level of ability. I get a great boost, and wish we could scare up a sponsor for a Great Lakes edition - I suspect the Button Box had to spot a fair amount of funds to get it launched. Every year I either go (three out of the last six) or I have a good reason not to (being out of the country, being busy teaching in a school that week). Some folks have commented here in the past that there weren't a lot of (fill in type here) players there. So it isn't, for example, an Irish anglos players convention - go to Noel Hill school or one of the other summer classes for that. OTOH I believe Frank Edgley was planning to go this year. Frank?

Don't go expecting someone to cater to your style or instrument or to set it up for you -- you get to set it up yourself. One year I proposed a Cajun accordion beginners support group, and it worked out great. One or two experts came and helped us choose easy beginner tunes, which we taught to some other folks (PA experts) who had never played a diatonic box before and said afterward, "Thanks, I enjoyed that." I'm starting to think about coming this year if I'm still not working by then and can find the funds (I'm sure at this point only campsites are still available). We can set something up for anglo, what do you say? I joined the English concertina orchestra as the token anglo player the last time and fit right in!

Squeeze on!

Ken

;) Wow Ken,

I would certainly go to a Great Lakes version. So would probably many others. I hope to get to the Northeast version sometime, but would love to have one closer. Say, what about Cleveland? Okay, that's probably only convenient for me! :lol:

I play anglo in the Irish style, what will I get out of it?

1) You'll undoubtedly meet at least a couple of others who play anglo in the Irish style.

2) You'll also meet folks who play Irish music on other types of concertina, and other types of music on the anglo,... and of course other types on other types.

I.e., you can expect both reinforcement and broadened horizons.

The exact mix of who comes can vary considerably from year to year, but I think it would be well nigh impossible to have no Irish, no anglo, or even no Irish anglo.

Other types of music you're likely to encounter: Contra dance, Morris dance, song accompaniment, swing, ensemble playing.... I remember one year there was a workshop in Bulgarian-style playing (which I attended with my English concertina).

Other types of instruments you're likely to encounter: English concertina, various duets (Hayden guaranteed, since Rich plays one), mouth harmonica, button accordions of various sorts, piano accordions,... and they're as likely to be jamming in the same room as grouped by instrument.

For the Saturday dance -- and even some of the jamming -- you're likely to see anything from a guitar to a clarinet. If you also play tuba, don't leave it home!

I play anglo in the Irish style, what will I get out of it? Any other info you would like to share?

There are usually about 50 concertina players at the Squeeze-In each year with about half of them playing anglo. Of them I would hazard to guess that about half play in the Irish style (making about a dozen Irish style anglo players?). Frank Edgley is closer to this action than I am and could give you a better count.

For more information on the event, check out reviews of past years at our Northeast Squeeze-In page.

I'll be heading East for my 8th Squeeze-In. Although I don't normally collect or save such things, I have kept all my S-I buttons, which reveal that I've attended in '91, '92, '94, '95, '97, '98, and '99.

Having missed the last three years, I suppose things might have changed somewhat from the '90s ... but I doubt it! (One change I am aware of: the posher variety of on-site housing now sells out much earlier.)

Why am I going back? Several things, I think. One is simply the camraderie of people with shared interests. Another biggie is the opportunity to see, hear, talk about, pass around, and try out other instruments. If it weren't for seeing and trying button accordions at the Squeeze-In, I would not likely have taken up that instrument. Similarly, I came home from the Squeeze-In one year resolving to purchase a better English concertina, which I did, and that made a world of difference in my playing (at least, I'd like to think it did).

In recent years my musical interests have become ever more concentrated on Irish traditional music, and I've decided that I've got to at least have a fling with an Anglo. I've got one of Rich's boxes on order ... I'm hoping for delivery in October ... and am looking forward to picking up learning tips and looking over the various tutors the Button Box will have for sale.

Every year that I've been, I've returned home in a much better mood ... so my family, too, is looking forward to my going this year. :lol:

I'm starting to think about coming this year if I'm still not working by then and can find the funds (I'm sure at this point only campsites are still available).

All the fancy rooms in the Manor, lodge and annex are already spoken for, though we do still have a few cabin spots available , as well as acres of camping....

Veterans of the S-I will be pleasantly surprised at a few changes to Bucksteep this year. It is under new ownership! The Judge has retired and has sold the place to the current manager's family who have been quite busy this past year making improvements - inlcluding upgrading the cabins which includes new curtains, beds and mattresses, as well as providing them with sheets, pillows, blankets and spreads!

I'll be there, unless something weird intervenes and stops me!

I play English, don't really fit into a particular category, but I'm sure I'll learn something.

I also play the accordion but I think I'll just bring the concertina.

My kind husband will stay home with our two dogs and the three cats and two birds. We seldom are both gone at the same time, not only because of the animals, but it's just preference. I've already ordered the Le Bistro cat feeder and water, so if he forgets about them or falls asleep on the couch for the entire weekend, they won't die. The dogs....they'll remind him, can't ignore them....the birds....they have good time-release type feeders, too! :rolleyes:

I was going to wait a week or so before asking who's going, but as the question's on the table, yes, I'll be there. I've been to all but the first (what's that, twelve?).

As you might have read elsewhere, the program is entirely camper-driven. There is no hired faculty. Anyone who wants to lead or suggest a workshop is invited to do so. I usually do a Morris Tunes session, and/or an introduction to the abc music notation protocol.

By all means bring something other than a squeezebox if it fits in your car. The jam sessions are more fun with a variety of timbres. There are usually several fiddles, banjos, hammered dulcimers, guitars, etc. there.

And start working on those limericks!

Of course I'll be there (as well as a handful of our staff).... I usually bring a selection of sheet music (in 4 or more parts) for a band workshop where we usually work up a march or popular piece for the concert. I've also done a waltz, duet, and button accordion workshops. Things vary depending on who's there and what needs/wants doing.

One new item we hope to do is a blind testing of concertinas (that is, with the player behind a blind) with audience evaluation to see how discernible these new hybrid members fare. Right now it's just and idea, but just how it's to be done and what criteria we'll be collecting will depend upon who's interested. Should we include Stagis and Jeffries? Only anglos?

And as David points out, there are many other instruments beyond boxes at this gathering. Not mentioned were bagpipes, hurdy-gurdy, keyboards, and basses. Wendy - please do bring you PA! You've got the room for it in your car. You may not think you'd need it, but if you did and it weren't with you.... bummer! Can you really play those Hungarian and Romanian pieces as well on you English?

Also a reminder of our REWARD for the person who brings in the most interesting box for display. Our items in the "Museum of Curious and Bizarre " have become banal to our veterans. Please share your oddities, whatever squeezeform they be. (Wendy - did you loose ALL your chachkas?)

Edited by Richard Morse

:rolleyes: I would like to go to this next year (don't have the money this year). How do you know what's offered at what time? Do people sign up or post what they would like to lead? This sounds like a lot of fun. If people need to fly in, is there a nearby airport with some reasonable means of getting to the Squeeze-In?

Thanks.

Wendy - please do bring you PA! You've got the room for it in your car. You may not think you'd need it, but if you did and it weren't with you.... bummer! Can you really play those Hungarian and Romanian pieces as well on you English?

Also a reminder of our REWARD for the person who brings in the most interesting box for display. Our items in the "Museum of Curious and Bizarre " have become banal to our veterans. Please share your oddities, whatever squeezeform they be. (Wendy - did you loose ALL your chachkas?)

Actually, I'm working on that! If I sing/hum the melody line and play chordal stuff on the concertina, I can get some pretty Hungarian-sounding stuff.

Chachkas? I musta lost them, had to look up what they are....

I do have a Fisher Price Xylophone that my parakeets enjoy...

(Wendy - did you loose ALL your chachkas?)

The word Rich intended, I think, is "tchotchke." From an on-line dictionary:

Pronunciation: 'chäch-k&, 'tsäts-

Function: noun

Etymology: Yiddish tshatshke trinket, from obsolete Polish czaczko

KNICKKNACK, TRINKET

Just guessing, but I think Rich might have intended these questions for another Wendy -- Wendy Morrison of Takoma Park, MD, aka Wendina, who lost a lot of her possessions in a fire ... including, I suppose, parts of her extensive collection of accordion- and concertina-related kitsch (tchotchkes). Wendy also has an amazing Klezmer/Eastern European repertoire.

Edited by Michael Reid

If people need to fly in, is there a nearby airport with some reasonable means of getting to the Squeeze-In?

In various years I've flown in via the Albany and Hartford airports. Albany has a slight edge in distance, Hartford seems to have more flights. Albany's about an hour by car, Hartford about 1-1/4 hours, I think. Usually I've rented a car, but I've also managed to arrange rides to/from Hartford from people traveling up Interstate 91 for the Squeeze-In.

This year I'm flying into Boston because I got a much better deal on the flights. I think it's about a two-hour drive. I'll be renting a car, which I'll need at Bucksteep because I'm staying off-site. if anybody else is flying to Boston and would be interested in sharing a car, please e-mail me off-list so we can exchange schedules and see if that would work out.

(Wendy - did you loose ALL your chachkas?)

The word Rich intended, I think, is "tchotchke." From an on-line dictionary:

Pronunciation: 'chäch-k&, 'tsäts-

Function: noun

Etymology: Yiddish tshatshke trinket, from obsolete Polish czaczko

KNICKKNACK, TRINKET

Just guessing, but I think Rich might have intended these questions for another Wendy -- Wendy Morrison of Takoma Park, MD, aka Wendina, who lost a lot of her possessions in a fire ... including, I suppose, parts of her extensive collection of accordion- and concertina-related kitsch (tchotkes). Wendy also has an amazing Klezmer/Eastern European repertoire.

I had a hard time figuring out how to spell tchotkes but finally found it at Dictionary.com which's spelling I used.

You're right about my mistaking Wendy for Wendy. She's been such a boost at the Squeeze-In and we've missed her these past few years.

Edited by Richard Morse