Air Travel

Has anyone recently travelled with their box on an airplane in the U.S., as a carry-on? I really don't want to pack-it as luggage as I've seen how they throw luggage around. Any suggestions regarding airline travel with your concertina is welcomed. I'm departing this Friday, the 28th of May. Many thanks.

Chris

I have had no problems in US, or internationally. A single case will fit in any overhead, or under the seat in front of you. If you are cautious, look at the airline website under carry on / personal items. They will state clearly that a musical instrument may be a carry on item as long as it does not exceed carry on dimensions. They, "the airline" make the rules, not TSA. If a TSA agent gives you a problem, ask for a supervisor. You might also print out the page from the airline. I travel regularly with a double case, and a shoulder bag with concert flutes and whistles. All this said, you will likely have to check luggage ( fee required now by most ), unless you do have a standard single case. Airlines in general do no wish to restrict you from bringing on an item of great financial value. If asked, state the value, and maybe the age if an antique. I will be back on a plane in two weeks, two concertinas, flutes, and whistles all as carry on. Good luck.

I travelled with three concertinas on British Airways from London to Seattle Washington last December.

One concertina (the smallest) was in my carry-on bag along with my SLR camera and computer's external hard drive (ie all my breakable stuff). The other two were in hard cases inside a duffel bag which met carry-on dimension requirements and I considered it my "musical instrument", which is allowed as a free carry-on on most airlines. I had no problems at all at any point in the journey.

Edited by Geraghty

Just flew within the past couple of days. I had a backpack and my concertinas in a case. Security never asked any questions, just let me through (well except I set off the metal detector). It might be a bit of a pain lugging the concertinas from terminal to terminal, but it definitely eases the mind to know you have them with you.

-Lep

Just flew within the past couple of days. I had a backpack and my concertinas in a case. Security never asked any questions, just let me through (well except I set off the metal detector). It might be a bit of a pain lugging the concertinas from terminal to terminal, but it definitely eases the mind to know you have them with you.

-Lep

Simple solution - just learn this little tune and, (just as you used to have to press your camera button to show it WAS a camera) whip your instrument out to show em and do your little turn and you will have security dancing in the aisles - here's the appropriate toon, but I hope your box is not quite as big as this fellah's coz I think the box would take HIM as carry-on luggage!

never put cameras tinas compooters in the hold - I know an office group trip who were forced to put their laptops in the plane belly at the start of the one bag only scare and I think something like half a dozen of them 'disappeared' ....

Fantastic, many thanks for the replies and suggestions. I was under the impression that after 9-11, and the fact that many people don't know a concertina from a dictation machine, that I would get suspicious looks from the TSA guys. That said, I'm off to learn a couple bars of http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WbiFugV4PX8. My Wakker A1 came with a nice case; it will be in my lap on the plane

I'm off to my cottage in the northwoods of Wisconsin for a bit of plank floor installation, evening swilling, and a lot of concertina playing.

Happy squeezing,

Chris