You have been warned.

Good find! But I think you stumbled on the mating call of the dinosaur. That's what got him excited. Here's an explanation of the sounds:

Thanks

Leo :ph34r:

Music is supposed to sooth the savage beast.

Well, see, there's your problem--it's human emotions, not wild animals, that it's supposed to calm: "Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast" (William Congreve, The Mourning Bride). I can't tell you how many people get into trouble trying to fend off large predators with little ditties... :)

jdms

(apologies to anyone who has suffered a wild animal attack and is therefore less inclined to see my last sentence as humorous)

Good find! But I think you stumbled on the mating call of the dinosaur. That's what got him excited. Here's an explanation of the sounds:

Thanks

Leo :ph34r:

Actually (now that I've watched the clip), in Ray Bradbury's short story "The Fog Horn," which was the inspiration for that scene (though according to an essay by Bradbury, the filmmaker forgot where he got the idea until Bradbury reminded him after the movie came out), the poor critter was under the impression that the lighthouse's foghorn was indeed a mating call. It only attacked after the lighthouse keepers turned the foghorn off.

jdms

I can't tell you how many people get into trouble trying to fend off large predators with little ditties... smile.gif

Like the piano-accordionist who was on his way to a gig in a hunting lodge in Kenia when his car broke down. He was nearly there, so he decided to walk the rest of the way. However, after a few minutes he realised that he was completely encircled by lions, which were closing in on him.

At this point, the Congreve mis-quotation occurred to him, so he unpacked his accordion and began to play, hoping to soothe the savage beasts. The lions came closer, then stopped and lay down in a circle to listen, as tame as pussy-cats, while the accordionist reeled off one polka after another, with the odd tango thrown in for good measure.

After a while, an old, cultivated-looking lion sauntered up, stopped for a moment on the edge of the circle, then advanced on the accordionist and smote him down with one sweep of his paw.

Two chimpanzees had been watching the scene from the branch of a boabab tree, and now one turned to the other and said, "Didn't I tell you? If a lion that knows anything about music comes along, that guy's a goner!"

Cheers,

John

Ha, I actually watched this movie on the tube sometime in the last couple of months.

They never seem to put much effort into faking the squeezebox do they.

Funny thing is, this is exactly what we'd all be doing on a foggy night in the lighthouse.

GJ

Edited by NoNaYet

That's awesome work. Very impressive craftsmanship.

A few unfortunate glitches with the jumping, mating, size and mobility of predators, lack of vegitation to support such beasts etc. But the animation is outstanding!

That Ray Harryhousen Godzilla stop-motion is outstanding too. Very good work. He's a registered idiot, what can you do, but his early works are very impressive.

It's "Music has (or hath) charms to soothe a savage BREAST", not "beast", and it was written by dramatist William Congreve in 1697 in one of his plays. (Check it out on Wikipedia.)

Frankevich

The other version of the lion story ends where the old lion walks over and attacks the musician.

One of the other lions says "What did you do that for, I was enjoying that?"

The first lion puts a paw to his ear and says "Pardon?"

Robin Madge

Actually (now that I've watched the clip), in Ray Bradbury's short story "The Fog Horn," which was the inspiration for that scene (though according to an essay by Bradbury, the filmmaker forgot where he got the idea until Bradbury reminded him after the movie came out), the poor critter was under the impression that the lighthouse's foghorn was indeed a mating call. It only attacked after the lighthouse keepers turned the foghorn off.

jdms

Hi Jdms

I should have known it was Ray Bradbury. At one time I really did. His writing is timeless. That's probably where I thought of the mating call, and forgot where to attribute the idea. Supposedly, it's also the idea for Godzilla movies and at least one other atomic dinosaur from Japan. Gotta love those early '50s atomic created science fiction movies. Don't ever get old, it's usually the second thing to go.

Thanks

Leo :)

It's "Music has (or hath) charms to soothe a savage BREAST", not "beast", and it was written by dramatist William Congreve in 1697 in one of his plays. (Check it out on Wikipedia.)

Frankevich

Apologies to William Congreve but misquotation is what I do best.

Dave ;)