Extra Buttons

colledge

Greetings

I previously posted a radical idea for a 34 button keyboard, but am also trying to decide what extras I would want with a more conventional / modified Jeffries keyboard. The one on my Herrington has a standard Jeffries accidental row, but with a new one I would go with this

E/F A/A# C#/D# A/G G#/A# --- C#/C# F#/D# G#/G C#/D# A/D

after learning that the F# on the right hand side of this one is a low one, I realized that you can do so much with that for ornaments in Em as well as playing in D.

As an ITM player who could do fine with 30 buttons, the one that would be available the soonest is a 34 button. Even though I have a few ideas of my own, I'm falling short of filling all of those extras with guaranteed useful notes.

Are there any 34 button players out there who'll share with me what their extras are? Even if you don't, all ideas welcome

Thanks

sean

I have a 34 button Dipper anglo. I don't even know what the extra notes are yet - I told Colin what kind of music I play (Irish trad) and he recommended the extras - I just told him to go with it. I'll map them out soon and when I have done I'll let you know what they are.

I have a 34 button Dipper anglo. I don't even know what the extra notes are yet - I told Colin what kind of music I play (Irish trad) and he recommended the extras - I just told him to go with it. I'll map them out soon and when I have done I'll let you know what they are.

Thanks Geraghty. BTW I saw the pic of that Dipper that you once posted, and it was nothing but a tease. If you ever can, love to see more angles.

sean

I also have a 34 buttons. My RH accidental row has a reverse C#, a pull C# on the first button, and push C# on the second.

When I made a selection of extra notes, I just went logically. I added reversed notes for some notes I use a lot... So on the LH I have a pull E and push F# on one of the extra button. I actually use the push F# quite a lot, in some tunes the push/pull involving D, E, F# and the pinky is almost unbearable. It's great to be able to go from push F# (with index finger) to push E (with major).

Honnestly though I don't think it matters what people use on their layouts as long as you haven't heard the way they play. You can have all sort of different layouts, but if you can't use it to play enjoyable irish music, it's somewhat useless.

There are at least two problems that come to mind regarding extra buttons. You won't find it easy to play other peoples' instruments. Other people won't find it easy to play your instrument.

Bearing in mind the social nature of our music and our sessions, a "custom" concertina might not fit so well. I play quite often with a button-box player (Az knows him) who designed his own accordion around a D/A layout, with custom buttons on a third row for accidentals, and several buttons in reverse order on the double rows. He's on his own when it comes to sharing and learning technique and fingerings.

Thanks Geraghty. BTW I saw the pic of that Dipper that you once posted, and it was nothing but a tease. If you ever can, love to see more angles.

Yeah, I took those just before moving a third of the way around the world and haven't really had a chance to revisit it. It's raining today but the next sunny day we've got I'll get some pics done.

OK, my Dipper has its extra four buttons in these locations:

Left hand: Appended to the right end of the inner row. It's an F# on push and an E on draw, to give an alternate direction for those two notes.

Right hand:

1) Appended to the left end of the middle row. Seems to be F#' (an octave higher) on the push and Ab on the draw.

2) Appended to the left end of the inner row. Bb' on the push and Ab' on draw.

3) Positioned lower than the inner row, between the third and fourth buttons (of a regular five-button row). Push is F'' and draw is C#''.

I don't think I've used any of these buttons yet, but Colin said they were common requests for advanced players (which I am not yet!).

Why is this in Buy and Sell?

Because someone is trying to 'sell' a bad idea ;-) Seriously, he said at the beginning of the thread he's made a mistake but didn't know how to move the thread.

Greetings

I previously posted a radical idea for a 34 button keyboard, but am also trying to decide what extras I would want with a more conventional / modified Jeffries keyboard. The one on my Herrington has a standard Jeffries accidental row, but with a new one I would go with this

after learning that the F# on the right hand side of this one is a low one, I realized that you can do so much with that for ornaments in Em as well as playing in D.

As an ITM player who could do fine with 30 buttons, the one that would be available the soonest is a 34 button. Even though I have a few ideas of my own, I'm falling short of filling all of those extras with guaranteed useful notes.

Are there any 34 button players out there who'll share with me what their extras are? Even if you don't, all ideas welcome

Thanks

sean

Well, I have a 33-button G/D, but I don't mainly use it for Irish music, and it is a G/D...

But for a C/G Irish music, the first thing I'd suggest would be a reverse E/F# button on the left-hand side (E pull, f# push).

Why is this in Buy and Sell?

Because someone is trying to 'sell' a bad idea ;-)

What are you talking about?

Was just kidding, needed to make the 'sell' play of word, sorry if you ended up being collateral damage ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings

Thanks

sean

Sean, I couldn't get along without a B flat (A#) on the right hand accidental row but I see that you don't have one in yours as written above. There are several tunes that I play that are in the key of F and that B flat on that right accidental row is indispensable when it comes to playing them.

Steve

Steve said: B flat on that right accidental row is indispensable when it comes to playing...

I cross-finger that note-- use the second (middle) finger of my left hand to use for that note, crossing over the first finger. It isn't awkward once you get used to it.

Steve said: B flat on that right accidental row is indispensable when it comes to playing...

I cross-finger that note-- use the second (middle) finger of my left hand to use for that note, crossing over the first finger. It isn't awkward once you get used to it.

David, I am talking about the high B flat in the right side of the instrument. Am I seeing straight or do I need to put on my glasses again? Shouldn't there be a high B flat in both a Jeffries and a Wheatstone layout on the right side accidental? I don't see one with Sean's listing and was trying to point out the importance of including that note in any layout, otherwise, a player of such a layout would lose out on playing quite a few tunes in the key of F on a C/G keyed anglo. Am I correct in my perception of what Sean noted in his post or am I just not getting it?

Seems to me that he has noted an extra d# on the draw of the second to the last button on the right where there would normally be (on a Jeffries layout) a high b flat.

Steve

David, I am talking about the high B flat in the right side of the instrument. Am I seeing straight or do I need to put on my glasses again? Shouldn't there be a high B flat in both a Jeffries and a Wheatstone layout on the right side accidental? I don't see one with Sean's listing and was trying to point out the importance of including that note in any layout, otherwise, a player of such a layout would lose out on playing quite a few tunes in the key of F on a C/G keyed anglo. Am I correct in my perception of what Sean noted in his post or am I just not getting it?

Seems to me that he has noted an extra d# on the draw of the second to the last button on the right where there would normally be (on a Jeffries layout) a high b flat.

Steve

Yes, I couldn't survive without that RH high Bb, but not for F tunes, as they are relatively rare in irish music. G minor tunes on the other hand...

Greetings

Thanks

sean

Sean, I couldn't get along without a B flat (A#) on the right hand accidental row but I see that you don't have one in yours as written above. There are several tunes that I play that are in the key of F and that B flat on that right accidental row is indispensable when it comes to playing them.

Steve

Thanks. I actually thought that myself so I changed The G#/G on mine map, to a G#/ A# and moved the G pull down to the bottom row extra pull, right next to the G push. That's probably better there as well. I did this of course because I think I need the button, but I don't really go looking for it very much.