Left Hand C/G Concertina

Apologies in advance, I'm sure you have been asked this question many times, but despite intensive searching I cannot locate the answer. My question is this - "on a c/g anglo, what are the alternatives for a left hand thumb button, that would make it easier to play roles, or triplets in Irish Trad. music (jeffries layout)?" Which notes would be handy to have on a left hand thumb button?

Apologies in advance, I'm sure you have been asked this question many times, but despite intensive searching I cannot locate the answer. My question is this - "on a c/g anglo, what are the alternatives for a left hand thumb button, that would make it easier to play roles, or triplets in Irish Trad. music (jeffries layout)?" Which notes would be handy to have on a left hand thumb button?

For Irish music I'd suggest E (pull) / F# (push)

For English music of other styles with chords, C (push) / F (push) seems to be the most favoured.

David

For Irish music I'd suggest E (pull) / F# (push)

For English music of other styles with chords, C (push) / F (push) seems to be the most favoured.

David

Other way round David ? for English style

F push/ C pull, or C drone

Al

A left thumb button seems a relatively unhandy (unfingerey?) item. It also means adding another mechanism set and if you were making a concertina from scratch and going to that amount of trouble, why not put it somewhere a finger can get at it? Like on the end of the G row or C row? Or even on the right hand side if your intention is to aid slightly difficult triplets on the left. Its the same amount of work.

Chris

We once discussed Peter Bellamy's clips to hold the C drone button down. I've used BluTak to experiment and think one of those swivelling microscope stage spring clips could be attached at an end plate bolt.or under the edge of the plate.

for Irish music etc I'd choose a D/D

Edited by michael sam wild