NHICS East Coast 2010

Hi y'all,

I just signed up for Noel's East coast workshop, anyone else from the board planning on attending?

I'm flying into LaGuardia late on the evening 24th, could rent a car if I have to (looks like the going rate is $70/day, ouch!), but hoping that perhaps I might be able to catch a ride from someone up to the venue from LGA on the 25th.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by eskin

Another option to consider if you can't ride with someone, is getting from La Guardia to Port Authority and taking the bus (Greyhound I think) up to Cairo,NY which is 7 or 10 miles from East Durham. I had checked into this and someone form Gavin's offered to pick me up for $10 in Cairo.

Good luck, and I'll see you there!

lmc

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I'm also looking for someone to share a ride to East Durham with, coming from up North though. Is there anybody out there driving from Eastern Canada or Maine who has room for one more and wants to share the travel costs? That would be awesome! Let me know: agevenich@gmail.com.

Ashley

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, did you try asking Linda Mann about rides? She's one who coordinates the camps and she might be able to help you find some people to carpool with. I know in years past she has helped me get rides from chicago to the midwest class in Kentucky.

Another option from New York City is to take Amtrak from Penn Station to Hudson, NY, which is about 20 miles East of East Durham, and a cab from there. I know some people did this when I went to Catskills Irish Arts Week several years ago. For the return trip you to Hudson could probably get a ride from a fellow student.

Assuming that NHICS starts on a Sunday, there are 10 trains from NYC to Hudson.

I just signed up. Coming in from scenic Rochester, NY. PeI am really looking forward to a week of not learning my instrument in isolation. -Mark

Mark, I used to live in Rochester - are there no other concertina players there anymore? There were at least two others going to sessions in 2003 - in fact, one of them (Ted McGraw, I believe) kindly invited me over to his house to try out his concertina when I was considering getting one myself.

Due to a change of plans, I have a couple of days free in Chappaqua, NY after the East Coast Noel Hill workshop next week over the weekend on July 31/Aug 1, any recommendations for sessions or other Anglo concertina-related activities I should seek out? I haven't been in New York for over 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...

The photos are really nice. It looks like the new site is a big improvement over past years at the East Durham location. Hope everybody had a good time. It also looks like Noel is getting more like the rest of us with some "snow on the roof"!!

I'm looking forward to heading out to my class tomorrow.

Ross

Thanks for sharing the photos. They are excellent! Your photos convey a certain aesthetic ambience and warmth making me wish I was there too. Nice to see the pictures of Noel in action.

Edited by Ben

Michael,

Love your pictures on the plane over NYC. Great shots! What a privilege to fly there and see everything from the air.

Also, got a big kick out of your pictures of the food on the airplane alternating with the iPad :-)

Yvonne

NHICS was incredible. Noel is not only a masterful player but an insightful and empathetic teacher as well. Between the classes, the concert, and the improptu playing and sessioning, I got to experience some pretty special musical moments that now motivate me to practice more dilligently than ever. Thanks to Noel, Linda, and my fellow students for making my week unforgettable.