A Rising Star?

This was recorded three hours after a melodeon player picked up an anglo for the very first time. I'm stunned. Ladies and Gentlemen I present Derek the Nutter in all his glory.

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=20644

Pretty damned impressive. I like it.

Out of sheer politeness I am going to decline to draw any conclusions about melodeons and/or Anglos from this.

This was recorded three hours after a melodeon player picked up an anglo for the very first time. I'm stunned. Ladies and Gentlemen I present Derek the Nutter in all his glory.

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=20644

Sounds like JKP had better watch out! I bet there are many anglo players out there still struggling to play that well after three years, never mind three hours. The tune is 'The Nutting Girl' BTW. Now come all you jovial fellows, come listen to my song It is a little ditty and it won't detail you long It's of a fair young damsel, ...

Chris

Hello Derek the Nutter Here!

Alas it is the 15 years of playing Melodeon to a reasonably high standard that made picking this up easier! (although yesterday was the first time i ever held one)

Problem is now after playing many hours it made my hands and finger tips hurt and so i need to develop the concertina muscles!

I would welcome any guidance as to the best way to play in other keys other than C/G , i.e what keys are possible on a 40 key anglo and what is still possible in these keys with "english style" playing on the left hand harmony.

Are there good examples out there i can follow and learn from?

I can't read music so thats no use .. i just play by ear"!

Is there a forum section of kinks to tunes here? (i haven't looked properly yet)

So the obsession to master the little beauty begins!

Derek

Hello Derek the Nutter Here!

Alas it is the 15 years of playing Melodeon to a reasonably high standard that made picking this up easier! (although yesterday was the first time i ever held one)

Problem is now after playing many hours it made my hands and finger tips hurt and so i need to develop the concertina muscles!

I would welcome any guidance as to the best way to play in other keys other than C/G , i.e what keys are possible on a 40 key anglo and what is still possible in these keys with "english style" playing on the left hand harmony.

Are there good examples out there i can follow and learn from?

I can't read music so thats no use .. i just play by ear"!

Is there a forum section of kinks to tunes here? (i haven't looked properly yet)

So the obsession to master the little beauty begins!

Derek

Derek, if you only play by ear you should be able to work out some other keys apart from C and G for yourself. That's what I do. Struggling to read printed music spoils the fun. Rod

Girl.

Meanie!!

As one of the female persuasion with a dodgy elbow and resultant dodgy biceps muscles I'm hoping that I qualify for a sick note for teacher - although I do wonder??

Hi Derek - good to see you over here. Since you said (elsewhere) that you could play the box better than the instrument, I'm still waiting to hear an example of the box ... it must be stunningly good! Wish I could play that well after just three hours (mind you, I'm not proposing to take up the Anglo any time in the future, as my brain doesn't work that way. I'll stick with the Duet! ;) )

Girl.

Meanie!!

As one of the female persuasion with a dodgy elbow and resultant dodgy biceps muscles I'm hoping that I qualify for a sick note for teacher - although I do wonder??

Hi Derek - good to see you over here. Since you said (elsewhere) that you could play the box better than the instrument, I'm still waiting to hear an example of the box ... it must be stunningly good! Wish I could play that well after just three hours (mind you, I'm not proposing to take up the Anglo any time in the future, as my brain doesn't work that way. I'll stick with the Duet! ;) )

Thanks Irene.... 6 hours of playing now and Dirge will be pleased that i've recovered (I got the feeling he was a little bit worried about me! B) ) .... I'll keep persevering with the Anglo and save playing the "box" for later!

BTW Are DUET players the supreme commanders of concertina playing ? (Actually i don't know what a DUET does apart from having a lot of buttons and Ralphie J makes it look easy!)

Girl.

Meanie!!

Thanks Irene.... 6 hours of playing now and Dirge will be pleased that i've recovered (I got the feeling he was a little bit worried about me! B) ) .... I'll keep persevering with the Anglo and save playing the "box" for later!

BTW Are DUET players the supreme commanders of concertina playing ? (Actually i don't know what a DUET does apart from having a lot of buttons and Ralphie J makes it look easy!)

6 hours; I take it back.

I wouldn't dare comment on the supreme commanders bit, all three systems have their adherents who have good reasons for their choice, it depends what you're after, but I don't think anyone could deny that duets are best if you are out for complex music; big chords, clever harmonies. (I play duet too) but you pay for it in bulkiness. I reckon the differences between the types become less and less important as you get better, anyway. In case you hadn't picked this up, they are very different; you don't just pick up an English after years of playing an Anglo and immediately rattle out a tune. It would probably take you all of 10 minutes...

BTW Are DUET players the supreme commanders of concertina playing ? (Actually i don't know what a DUET does apart from having a lot of buttons and Ralphie J makes it look easy!

Grrr. NO! All of the concertina systems have their advocates and the only one that's right is the system that suits you!

OK, anglo is push/pull like a melodeon but with a different layout, this you already know. The rest is quite difficult to explain but I'll give it a go. Both English and Duet concertinas play the same note push/pull on each button but are very different in all other respects. Duets are somewhat like pianos in that they have low notes on the left hand and higher notes on the right,; just to confuse things they have one octave in the middle that's available on both sides. English concertinas are far harder to explain in words but for me much easier to play. The notes on an English alternate from on end to the other; if the first note of the scale is on the left then the next note is on the right.

I guess concertina playing is pretty much like accordion playing. For anglo read melodeon, for duet read PA and for English read CBA although the definitions for duet and English there are very blurred about the edges and in truth they have no real comparisons with regard to accordions.

I'm still waiting to hear an example of the box ... it must be stunningly good!

One example :

He doesn't frighten me, honest! :unsure:

Errmm ... no although that's a "box" it isn't an example of the right sort of box. ( I have seen that clip of Derek and Jimbo before ... the shades are scarey but the music is nice !) However, he was actually referring (elsewhere on Facebook) to the box that the concertina was sitting on... and I'm still waiting ....LOL :lol:

I have now sent you a set of links to info on the various types of duet Derek (and BTW I deeply admire the brave way that you join up and then ask provocative questions regarding the importance - or otherwise - of duet players. Talk about poking lions with a stick ... LOL!)

Six hours, eh ... I suppose you'll be playing Springtime in Battersea like Anahata by now then?

Edited by Irene S

BTW Are DUET players the supreme commanders of concertina playing ? (Actually i don't know what a DUET does apart from having a lot of buttons and Ralphie J makes it look easy!

I guess concertina playing is pretty much like accordion playing. For anglo read melodeon, for duet read PA and for English read CBA although the definitions for duet and English there are very blurred about the edges and in truth they have no real comparisons with regard to accordions.

Nice playing, Derek! I'm impressed along with everyone else.

Re concertinas vs. accordions, I'd say that a duet is roughly analogous to a free-bass accordion (either PA or CBA) where both right and left hand play single notes that are the same on push and pull and the right hand plays treble, left hand bass. It's probably closest to a free-bass CBA because the note patterns are the same for right and left hand (though none of the duet layouts are much like the CBA layout). An English, because the notes alternate between left and right hand as they move up the scale, isn't much like any accordion that I know of.

Actually, Derek, gratuitous insults aside, it might be your hands hurt because you're not relaxing them because you're concentrating hard. I expect you worked that out?

Where did the instrument come from and what is it?

Where did the instrument come from and what is it?

It's only a wild guess but it may be this concertina. In any event it's a 40 button metal ended Wheatstone C/G.

I'm none too sure that it is that one - I just had another look at Derek's photo (maybe he'll care to post it up here when he gets back from Hook Eagle Morris's fun day in Alton) but the Wheatstone badge looks to be a different colour ... and he said his was a 1964, whereas the ebay one is 1965.

Edited by Irene S

Yep, you're right Irene. I hadn't seen the post on Derek's wall, just followed the link to the mp3. I wondered what the references to the box were about! The ebay one has red inside the ends and Derek's either has nothing or black inside, and yes, the badge colour is different too.