browser not finding concertina forum server

Hi

is any one else having trouble with browsers not finding c.net. I have used IE, Firefox, Safari and Chrome and all of them seem to have trouble finding c.net's server at one time or another. This has been an irritation over the last week or two. I just find it annoying to have to have 4 browsers available in order to find one that finds c.net.

Any one got any suggestions? - or solutions.

frustrated (with browsers!!!)

chris

Hi

is any one else having trouble with browsers not finding c.net. I have used IE, Firefox, Safari and Chrome and all of them seem to have trouble finding c.net's server at one time or another. This has been an irritation over the last week or two. I just find it annoying to have to have 4 browsers available in order to find one that finds c.net.

chris

Are you being watched by Homeland Security?

My bet is it's a DNS server or ISP issue - Browser code doesn't have trouble finding internet addresses - they don't do any finding. The browser submits the request to the server, the server does the finding and fetching. Plus the fact that they all do it suggests that it's not a glitch in any one program, but rather occuring at the common factor - the server which they are talking to. Solutions would depend on what happens when your problem occurs. Are you getting any error messages?

Hi

chris

Are you being watched by Homeland Security?

My bet is it's a DNS server or ISP issue - Browser code doesn't have trouble finding internet addresses - they don't do any finding. The browser submits the request to the server, the server does the finding and fetching. Plus the fact that they all do it suggests that it's not a glitch in any one program, but rather occuring at the common factor - the server which they are talking to. Solutions would depend on what happens when your problem occurs. Are you getting any error messages?

Hi

I'm in UK -I don't think homeland security would be interested in me (I suspect that like most of the world they've never heard of me-fortunately)

Google Chrome said-"Oops googlechrome could not find www.concertina.net" Firefox did find c.net this time

chris (still frustrated!!!)

I have to concur with Mr. Bellows's (!) suggestion. I'm not aware of any problems with our server, but if you had one with your Domain Name Server (DNS, where your internet access looks up web addresses) it would accound for what you are seeing (or not seeing).

Ken

Hi

Not being very computer literate- I'm not sure that I understand the comments (my fault not the other posters). It seems odd that I have the most problems with getting to this forum, however I do occasionally have a problem with the British Library newspaper site -less than c.net but still occasional problems.

chris (still frustrated & confused)

Assuming you're using some flavour of Windows ...

The first thing to try is to remove any third-party toolbars from your browsers. I'm talking the Google toolbar, Yahoo, Ask, iTunes, and all the other 25,000 toolbars that try to 'enhance your browsing experience'. Unless you've got a very definite strong need to run one of them, uninstall the toolbar completely. My first and indeed second guess is that you've inadvertently added cnet and the library site to a blocked list maintained by one of those pernicious little blighters.

If you really, REALLY need one of those toolbars, find where it maintains a list of blocked/filtered sites and check that cnet and the library site aren't listed in there. If they are, delete the entry from the list.

Next, try your anti-virus and firewall. (You are running AV and firewall aren't you!) Again, dive into the settings of both of those, find where they block sites, and check the sites aren't blocked in there.

Same thing with anti-spyware software if you're running a seperate anti-spyware package.

If you've done all that and still can't connect ....

Next time you can't connect to cnet (or indeed the British Library site)

1. Open a command window (7 or Vista type cmd into the search box, earlier versions <windows key><r> and then type cmd), click OK.
  2. type ping www.concertina.net (or ping www.whatevertheblsiteiscalled.co.uk) and press enter.
  3. You'll get a message back starting either 'Reply From', 'Request Timed Out', or 'Ping request could not find host'.

If you get Reply From then you are connecting through to your Internet Service Provider OK, and it's something individual to the browsers that you're having problems with. Good luck with that, you're entering a whole world of pain.

If you get 'Request Timed Out' then double-check the settings you were given by your service provider when you set your account up. If they are correct (which I would guess they are or else you would ever get any websites at all), you need to find their customer support number and ask them why their servers aren't giving you access to innocuous sites like cnet and the British Library. They will get you to try everything you've just tried, but you might get somewhere eventually.

So all that should give you something to go on ... all the above offered free and as-is, although payment in the form of a Morse baritone wouldn't be turned away :)