'ENGLAND' stamp on Lachenal Anglo

nkgibbs

I have just received a pretty standard, 20b mahogany ended, Lachenal Anglo # 197961 (circa 1932 ?) with an embossed 'ENGLAND' stamp on one of the reedpan frames.

Senile amnesia may be at work here but I can't recall seeing this mark on a Lachenal before..........was it something that the company added in the last years of production?

Best regards,

Neil

www.concertina.biz

Edited by nkgibbs

Around WW1, as part of the anti-German propaganda, Lachenal started using a phrase to the effect 'English concertinas made by English workers'. Perhaps something related to that?

Edit: ...and nearer mid 1920s from serial number (1926/7?)

Edited by wes williams

My 20 button Lachenal is stamped "English Make" on the handle. Serial number 112680, built in the 1890s I think...so the "English" branding started somewhat before WWI. I don't know exactly when they started doing this, but it at least started before 1900.

I would think that their biggest selling point may have been that they were both reasonably inexpensive AND built in England to a higher standard.

My 20 button Lachenal is stamped "English Make" on the handle. Serial number 112680, built in the 1890s I think...so the "English" branding started somewhat before WWI. I don't know exactly when they started doing this, but it at least started before 1900.

Perhaps it had to do with the McKinley Tariff Act of 1890, which required manufactured items imported into the U.S. to be marked with the country of origin?

Dear Wes and Dan,

Many thanks for your comments.

Dan, the 'ENGLAND' stamp to which I was refering is in addition to the normal 'English Made' reedshoe patent stamp seen on the handle (NB not on the reedpan frame) on most Lachenal & Co concertinas post late 1870s.

Wes, I can imagine that in the 1920s people in Britain didn't really go for German-made goods. Have you seen the mark on other Lachenals of this period?

Best Wishes,

Neil

Edited by nkgibbs