2 D's in a row on the anglo

Hi all,

We've been playing the reel, Tuttle's (aka Bobby Casey's, Casey's, The Custom Gap, The Mills Are Grinding, The Windy Gap - per the Session). We play it as a slow reel - and the B part has a lonesome sort of sound.

In the version we're using, B part, next to the last measure, you have even 8th notes: FDED DCAB. The tune - in D dorian - can be played nicely up and down the C row, but I wasn't happy with the 2nd D in that measure, considering that falls on a strong beat. Finally realized I could get some pop to it by switching to the push. While it frequently happens that I use both pull and push notes in the same phrase, even the same measure; this is the first place I've found where they were useful right together. Anybody else?

Cheers,

Molly

I often do the same in some tunes and have now started to think of where a good chord could be found either with or without F#. If its Dm then pull feels best but I use a D push chord quite a bit for emphasis. See also discussion about fitting a low D1 reed on either push or pull the LHS accidentals too.

Finally realized I could get some pop to it by switching to the push. While it frequently happens that I use both pull and push notes in the same phrase, even the same measure; this is the first place I've found where they were useful right together. Anybody else?

Cheers,

Molly

Hello Molly,

Hope you've been doing well since Friday Harbor.

If you're commenting, as I think you are, on playing the same tone twice in sequence but reversing bellows direction and picking it up on a different button the second time, it's not something I've done much of in the past. That said, I can report that this sort of action is very much a part of Bertram Levy's "phrasing" approach to music. He's quite sensitive to where he wants sequential tones to flow and blend and where he wants to add definition and so fingers the music accordingly. It's not my place to go into the details of his methods in advance of the publication of his new tutor, but I can say that I've found that spending personal time with him and working with his approach has really been insightful.

Regards,

Bruce