Lachenal 39 Key MacCann Duet

Bill Crossland

Fresh from renovation, a nice 39 key MacCann duet. Renovation includes new valves, pads, straps, replacement bushed metal buttons and tuning to concert pitch. The bellows have been rebound but are original and in good condition, and the ends repolished. The reeds are brass, but are better quality than some I've worked on in Lachenals - a great starter instrument for the MacCAnn system.PM me for further pictures, details and price.

Sending PM now.

EDIT: on second thought I think I might hold out for a small Crane, but thanks for the info

Matthew, they aren't that heavy; you could probably pick it up without the crane.....

Edited by Paul Read

I don't think you've realised quite how limited the smallest duets are. There's an enormous gain in having a better range. Instead of collecting a tiddler of each flavour just use the same money to buy one medium sized Crane or Maccan. Even one of Wim's better Haydens if you're feeling flush. You won't believe how much more you can do with it.

Well - thanks for that chaps, if I ever need a salesman for decent restorations I'll consider my candidates carefully! If anyone can't afford the rather more expensive options, there are still decent smaller options available!

Sorry; I wasn't casting aspersions on your machine, it's just that MV has a tiny Hayden, told us he was going to get a tiny Crane; then he was interested in the smallest of Maccans. All I was saying is that he spends money on three small instruments it adds up to enough to buy a bigger one. One bigger one you use is better than one small one you use and a couple of idle novelties; or three small different types you play equally indifferently, whichever way it turns out.

What do you want for it anyway? Is it a COMPLETE bargain?

I have to agree with Dirge (much as it pains me....Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I started on a 48 MacCann. within 6 months I was so frustrated by the lack of notes, I quickly traded up to a 56. And have been happy with that for at least 35 years.

Obviously if you plan to play from piano music (for example) you'll need something bigger, but a little one becomes very frustrating very quickly.

I have to agree with Dirge (much as it pains me....Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I started on a 48 MacCann. within 6 months I was so frustrated by the lack of notes, I quickly traded up to a 56. And have been happy with that for at least 35 years.

Obviously if you plan to play from piano music (for example) you'll need something bigger, but a little one becomes very frustrating very quickly.

Honestly Ralphie; I dug us out of the hole; now we'll be in trouble again.

And could you and Irene just sort out how many buttons your instrument has got. She told Chris D off recently for telling ME off for saying it was a 58, which she said it was after all. He said it was a 56. I agree you OUGHT to know...You do have a RH middle C do you?

And could you and Irene just sort out how many buttons your instrument has got. She told Chris D off recently for telling ME off for saying it was a 58, which she said it was after all. He said it was a 56. I agree you OUGHT to know...You do have a RH middle C do you?

Oi Dirge - are you trying to cause trouble amongst friends? I didn't tell Chris off (just corrected his misapprehension) ... and the subject was discussed before in detail on an earlier thread. Whatever number of keys it's not really relevant here ?

Sorry Billcro - didn't mean to intrude. The 39 key renovation looks very pretty (if that's a word one should use when considering a playing musical instrument!)

Edited by Irene S

• 3 weeks later...