Aquatina

The Sheffield Star has a piece on the 'Aquatina' an 'impossible' product that could replace thousands of throw away plastic bottles. Designed and made in the city and patented , it's designed to fit in the pocket or a bag The limits to plastic blow moulding were said to make it impossible but it looks as though they have one that can press flat. given that people throw away perfectly good refillable plastic bottles that clog up the oceans and landfill I wonder if it has a serious future with consumers .

I've seen rubber bellows on various tools etc but is this a first and has it any concertina future?

post-1315-12720446784697_thumb.jpg

As a bottle it has no future, as it is difficult to clean. It's soft, it means plastic will likely start to stain and smell. And without the help of global market, concertina bellows made out of these are bound to follow that old path to the dumpster. There are better foldable products for water - collapsable cups. They are hard and made like a telescope.

A pity. Depicted bottle/bellows looks very good ergonomically, fits right over one's knee.

The Sheffield Star has a piece on the 'Aquatina' an 'impossible' product that could replace thousands of throw away plastic bottles. Designed and made in the city and patented , it's designed to fit in the pocket or a bag The limits to plastic blow moulding were said to make it impossible but it looks as though they have one that can press flat. given that people throw away perfectly good refillable plastic bottles that clog up the oceans and landfill I wonder if it has a serious future with consumers .

I've seen rubber bellows on various tools etc but is this a first and has it any concertina future?

Michael, the topic you have raised has relevance to the other recent topic relating to the possiblity of vegetarian concertinas, does it not ?

In my previous life I worked and played in circuses. I had a musical acrobatic clown duo. In the act we had a concertina that stretched about 6 feet made of a folded flexible plastic tubing like concertina bellows which I picked up in a job lot on Canal Street in NYC. It played only two very loud notes and obviously was for effect and show more than musical ability. It was constantly cracking and replaced multiple times. And in the end it did shoot water in the air.

I wonder if I can get royalties?

rss

I very much hope you are wrong. I actually designed it in a hour glass to be easy clean. It has a wide open top which means you can put it in the top of a dishwasher, so always sparkling clean and fresh! Or you can easily get a washing up brush inside. As for soft plastic, its Recycle Category 4, like a Nalgene bottle, so is BPA free and very strong. Its proving a hit so far, and its only been on the market for 5 days! watch our video on www.aquatina.net or key Aquatina into YouTube.

I very much hope you are wrong. I actually designed it in a hour glass to be easy clean. It has a wide open top which means you can put it in the top of a dishwasher, so always sparkling clean and fresh! Or you can easily get a washing up brush inside. As for soft plastic, its Recycle Category 4, like a Nalgene bottle, so is BPA free and very strong. Its proving a hit so far, and its only been on the market for 5 days! watch our video on www.aquatina.net or key Aquatina into YouTube.

Thanks , do you play or just google Aquatina?smile.gif best of luck and I hope it doesn't end up in that sargasso sea of waste plastic. Or am I the Jeremiah!?

The Aquatina website is pretty minimal right now, but it does link you here:

http://www.sheffield-made.com/acatalog/The_Aquatina_Pocket_Bottle.html

aquatina-large.jpg

back in the day we had a similiar contraption that was easy to fold up and held a good amount of water or other beverages, it was made out of readily available materials, lasted years, and would degrade if buried long enough in a land fill. True it wasn't the easiest to clean, but you could have more than one after all.

It was called a "waterskin", choice of the meandering traveler for untold generations.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/waterskin

ahh technology...

like a Nalgene bottle, so is BPA free and very strong.

Bring out your old bottles!:

Welcome to NALGENE Outdoor!

Nalgene to phase out production of consumer bottles containing BPA ... Find out more about Nalgene's commitment to the environment: Find Nalgene on: ...

www.nalgene-outdoor.com/