Concertina found - Sheffield UK

gavdav

At a session in Sheffield this week the barman said they'd some lost property in which we might be interested.

Taking a look at it, I'd say it's an English Concertina, played by a woman (or someone with quite small thumbs!), who is into Border morris and French music. That's still a fairly wide field, so can we get the word out?

NB. The instrument has a fine identifying feature - a pair of eyes stuck on it. Does that ring any bells?

----

forwarded from a mail I received - hopefully claimed already, but I'm just spreading the word.

Gav

At a session in Sheffield this week the barman said they'd some lost property in which we might be interested.

Taking a look at it, I'd say it's an English Concertina, played by a woman (or someone with quite small thumbs!), who is into Border morris and French music. That's still a fairly wide field, so can we get the word out?

NB. The instrument has a fine identifying feature - a pair of eyes stuck on it. Does that ring any bells?

----

forwarded from a mail I received - hopefully claimed already, but I'm just spreading the word.

Gav

Hi all. Thanks for messages and phone calls. I am really impressed and grateful; i am tracing the person who saw my baby and knows which pub it's hopefully still at. Funny thing is, i nearly removed those eyes because they didn't look serious, really. But it's obviously a good thing the make one's instrument noticeable. I will let you know how it goes.. Cheers

Hi all. Thanks for messages and phone calls. I am really impressed and grateful; i am tracing the person who saw my baby and knows which pub it's hopefully still at. Funny thing is, i nearly removed those eyes because they didn't look serious, really. But it's obviously a good thing the make one's instrument noticeable. I will let you know how it goes.. Cheers

Congratulations from the F/B Stolen Instrument Gallery team too!!

I wonder how many times the internet (concertina.net or other forums) has been successful in reuniting a missing concertina with its owner.

Well David.

Here in the UK, apart from this happy reunion, I know of at least two others.

Thanks to sites like this, and others, and the concertina world being so small, (relative to guitars say), that any nicked tinas are far more likely to reappear. (Mainly because the thief hasn't got a clue what he's got, and is just out to make a quick buck).

So, It's worth saying again. Please tell all your concertina playing friends to photograph every aspect of their box.

I have actually made identifying marks under the reed pans, that only I know about.

As Ms Mitchell famously sang.

"You don't know what you've got til it's gone"

We set up the F/B Stolen instruments gallery just for this purpose. Hey! and it worked!!

I just hope that nobody here has to send photos to it...

Regards Ralphie