The Clover anglo

After 2+ years of trying to get the production organized, we’re finally able to include the Clover anglo in our hybrid concertina line.

Production has started, and we should be able to start delivery in a couple of weeks, provided the suppliers deliver on time.

Part of the instrument is outsourced to a maker in Europe rather than China, which was our initial plan. The production of key parts and the assembly is done here in the USA and supervised by me. NOTE: The Clover is NOT a Wakker concertina.

We will start with the production of the Peacock, which is the English version, later this year.

We have decided to also offer this instrument as a kit. The last years I’ve received almost weekly inquiries from people wanting to build their own concertina. Given the relative simplicity of a hybrid concertina, I think the kit version should be fairly easy to complete for the average player. A positive side effect of the kit is that it enables us to offer a quality instrument at a low price.

As soon as our production is under control, both the Clover and Clover kit will also be available through our dealers.

See our site: concertinaconnection.com for details.

Wim Wakker

Concertina Connection Inc.

Wakker Concertinas

Wouldn't the English equivalent of a Clover be a Rose, the national emblem of England?

And a choice of colors, red or white. Yes?
:unsure:

But Boney, why "the national emblem of England"?

The national emblem of
Ireland
is
not
a
clover
B)

Wouldn't the English equivalent of a Clover be a Rose, the national emblem of England?

And a choice of colors, red or white. Yes?
:unsure:

But Boney, why "the national emblem of England"?

The national emblem of
Ireland
is
not
a
clover
B)

Of course not-- the clover must be the national emblem of Anglo-Germany!

Congratulation. The "kit" option is new in the concertina world and very attractive !

What tuning will you propose : C/G, G/D, other ?

Will there be some customization possible (e.g. drone or additional buttons) ?

David

But Boney, why "the national emblem of England"? The national emblem of Ireland is not a clover. B)

Of course not-- the clover must be the national emblem of Anglo-Germany!

Well, according to Wikipedia:

The shamrock is a symbol of Ireland. It is a three-leafed old white clover. It is sometimes of the variety Trifolium repens (a white clover, known in Irish as seamair bhán) but today usually Trifolium dubium (a lesser clover, Irish: seamair bhuí).

And according to Merriam-Webster OnLine:

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English
clāfre
; akin to Old High German
klēo
clover

So "Clover" is the Anglo-German word for the plant which is Ireland's national symbol. Quite appropriate, I think.

I don't have anything against "peacock," I'm sure by any name it would sound as sweet.

I wonder what a Hayden/Wicki model would be...the only thing I can think of is an apple.

The clover will only be available as a 30 key (+air) in C/G. the problem with different tuning or additional keys is that most of the instrument will have to be changed; reed pan chamber depth, bellows frames, action boards (air holes), etc.. You basically have to design a completely different instrument.

I think the kit should not be too difficult to assemble. Every part of the instrument is finished, and only needs to be assembled. I designed it in a way that it is almost impossible to misalign the individual parts… every part has guide holes that need to line up before gluing.

Fine tuning accordion reeds is not that difficult if you’re willing to learn a little about it and download one of the free tuning programs. Because you don’t need (actually cannot) voice accordion reeds, you just have to correct the pitch and maybe set the gap. The reeds will be within 10 cents of the correct pitch. If you’re not interested/willing/able to tune the instrument, I am sure you can ask a concertina/accordion shop to do it for you.

The names peacock and clover have no special meaning. Because the instruments are sold worldwide, we had to come up with simple names that have no negative or strange meaning in another language or is offending in certain cultures. In hindsight, Rose for the english version might have been better…

Eventually we will add a Hayden/Wicki version, but first I want to get the Clover and Peacock up and running. Our Wakker 46 and 65 key Hayden and Wicki duets are doing very well. I think a hybrid duet would make upgrading a lot easier….

Wim Wakker

Wakker Concertinas

Because you don’t need (actually cannot) voice accordion reeds, you just have to correct the pitch and maybe set the gap.

This statement intrigues me, and I will listen intently to anyone who will explain to me what it means.

Besides tuning and gapping, the only other adjustment that I know about is adjusting the profile of the reed-- whether it (for example) sits above the plate for much of its length, or just peeks up at the very end. What exactly is meant by "voicing" of the reed? And why can't it be done with accordion reeds?

Imagining accordion reeds (which I have seen) and concertina reeds (which I have seen pictures of), I'm trying to think what on a concertina reed could offer more possibilities for adjustment. Perhaps the thickness of the reed shoe has something to do with it. My only other theory is the attachment of the reed to the shoe.

Somebody help me out here, I'm in the dark.

Because you don’t need (actually cannot) voice accordion reeds, you just have to correct the pitch and maybe set the gap.

This statement intrigues me, and I will listen intently to anyone who will explain to me what it means.

Besides tuning and gapping, the only other adjustment that I know about is adjusting the profile of the reed-- whether it (for example) sits above the plate for much of its length, or just peeks up at the very end. What exactly is meant by "voicing" of the reed? And why can't it be done with accordion reeds?

Imagining accordion reeds (which I have seen) and concertina reeds (which I have seen pictures of), I'm trying to think what on a concertina reed could offer more possibilities for adjustment. Perhaps the thickness of the reed shoe has something to do with it. My only other theory is the attachment of the reed to the shoe.

Somebody help me out here, I'm in the dark.

You're not alone !

The clover will only be available as a 30 key (+air) in C/G. the problem with different tuning or additional keys is that most of the instrument will have to be changed; reed pan chamber depth, bellows frames, action boards (air holes), etc.. You basically have to design a completely different instrument.

I'm afraid I was rather expecting you to say that, in the light of the fact that the Rochelle is only available as a C/G. Presumably you don't think the effort worthwhile?

Chris

Both accordion and concertina reeds produce sound by cutting the air flow into small ‘bits’. Every time the reed passes through the slot (frame) it cuts the air flow. The better the fit of the reed in the slot, the cleaner the cut and the less energy is lost. Reeds do not just swing from base to tip (fundamental pitch), but also within the reed. These smaller movements produce the harmonics (5th, octave).

Reeds do NOT produce sound by ‘vibrating’…

This principle of cutting air should also explain why the material of the reed frame is of no importance, as long as the reed fits and the frame fits snugly in the reed pan and doesn’t counteract the swing movement of the reed. In general, heavier materials for the frames have proven to counteract this energy loss much better (= stronger tone).

Voicing reeds is ‘fiddling’ with the harmonics by weakening certain parts of the reed (1/2 = octave, 1/3 = fifth) to allow more movement at that spot to amplify that harmonic. The requirement is that the air flow has to be focused and strong. This requires channeling the air flow to the upper part of the reed. The actual part of the reed the air flow hits is determined by reed resistance and surface, but should be about 1/3 of the length of the reed. If you look at the back of concertina reeds, you’ll see that it is either rounded or tapered. This narrows the airflow coming through the reed pan channel which makes it stronger. In our own reeds we are able to adjust this part of the frame to the size and resistance of the reed.

The focused airflow keeps the reed going which allows tampering with its swing profile. If the reed is thick or stiff (e.g. brass reeds), the inner movements are very weak and not audible. The result is a very ‘round’ or warm tone. Reducing the reed thickness in the middle allows the reed to bend more and at that spot and amplifies the octave. The same goes with the fifth, which can be found about 1/3 from the base or top depending or reed configuration. Other harmonics are too weak to hear.

Because accordion reeds do not have a channeled airflow, the air hits the reed over the full length, weakening the reed at the harmonic spots interferes with the swing motion and will sometimes even stop it all together. Accordion reeds need more air pressure (P1 pressure) and have to deal with more resistance because the air hits the full length. To put it another way, air pressure is higher and more economical when channeled, which allows for altered swing profiles.

Wim Wakker

Wakker Concertinas

To put it another way, air pressure is higher and more economical when channeled, which allows for altered swing profiles.

It was very interesting to read, although I have difficulties to picture it.

Accordion reed valves are glued to 1/3rd it's length and it means that the air is hitting the upper 2/3rds of the reed. Does it mean it too, is channeled?

I get the idea of round hole been in the upper third of concertina reed. Same was with early accordons, where reeds were mounted flat. Same is with my one row little "Schweizer Orgele".

From my personal observations, those early accordions and my little one row don't sound round and have lots of harmonics, not even a hint of roundness.

I also have heard very bright and stringent concertinas.

But what do you mean by voicing? Do you actually "fiddle with the reeds", weakening the middle part, to allow for stronger harmonics, so it sounds more like accordion?

And most of all, your explanation made me think that it's not the reeds we are talking about, but their placement relative to the intake air vent. If such, then Clover concertina reeds, if they have traditional reed pans, can be voiced.

Can you elaborate?

I personally find Jackie's voice, been fully of accordion origin, is more suited to playing chords than any other concertina I've heard. To me, give me higher quality Jackie with high C# and I'll be set.

Can concertina voice be more influenced by the finish of inner parts? Like if you deliberately leave surfaces not polished, it will make sound more accordionish, and if you polish and laquer them, it will lead to simpler rounder sound?