To sleep, perchance to.......learn (Ipods & all that)

Kautilya

Any mileage in taping "have-to-learn" toons (e.g. as for EATMT) and listen on headphones and leave them repeating when you go to bed........

Remember the 'the learn a language' stuff while you sleep?

Of course babies pick up toons and words while they are awake coz they got nothing else to do.........

I taped off the half a dozen due to be massacred at EATM but with only 36 hours to go, I reckon it is too late this time.... :( :(

Any whiz players out there who would like to offer online Avatar plug in services by remote? The official word for Na'vi action is : full performance capture!

Any mileage in taping "have-to-learn" toons (e.g. as for EATMT) and listen on headphones and leave them repeating when you go to bed........

I think there might be some value in this. I think you're at least halfway to playing a tune once you have the flow of it in your mind, and as you get better with the instrument and well familiar with the layout, you'll find you're more like 80% of the way to playing it once you know the flow. Even if you're new to playing, if you know how a tune goes you can instantly recognize when you gone off track and so can correct on the spot.

I've never tried sleep-learning, I think my mind shuts down too far for that to be effective, but at some music camps I've taken the approach of putting new tunes to be learned on portable speakers and playing them the last 20 minutes before I go to sleep and again when I first rise.

I know of a couple of people that make a practice of putting specific recordings on each night, set on a timer to shut off after a time. They claim that if they drift off to sleep hearing it repeated, they know it when they rise in the morning.

Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.

Unfortunately, this technique was proven to be useless for learning years ago.

Ian

proven to be

but there lies the rub! 'Proven' or 'discounted'? - I will have to listen to them backwards while asleep and see if that improves my playing..... :D