Morse/Norman

I know I'll have to play them for myself, but can anyone who's played them give me any idea how an A C Norman anglo compares with a Marcus anglo? Sound, playability, weight etc etc. 30 button G/D for English style.

Thanks

Sue

I know I'll have to play them for myself, but can anyone who's played them give me any idea how an A C Norman anglo compares with a Marcus anglo? Sound, playability, weight etc etc. 30 button G/D for English style.

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue,

I have a Norman G/D and a friend locally has a Marcus C/G. Now obviously I can only compare these two specimens and there may well be wider differences between two Normans or two Marcus'. My Norman has a very easy action and the reeds speak quicker than those of the Marcus and are louder and perhaps slightly more strident than the Marcus. However that could be all to do with the 'set'. Both instruments are well made and nicely finished - the Marcus is a little prettier as it has polished natural wood frames and bellows papers, whereas my Norman is 'ebonised' with black bellows but I note that the Normans are now available with a variety of pretty papers and the Jubilee version comes with wooden ends as well - and a more mellow sound. I haven't actually weighed them but my feeling is that there isn't too much difference between them - both quite light.

I am sure that whichever you choose, you'll be well satisfied. They represent excellent value for money if a new instrument with accordian reeds is what you are after.

Best wishes

David

PS Antony (AP) James also makes a nice Anglo - he used to work for Andrew Norman, but now is in business on his own and may not have such a long waiting list.

Morse/Norman, or Marcus/Norman? You've got two different things going here.

Sorry about that! It should read Marcus/Norman. I'm familiar with Marcus anglo but am looking at other options. I've recently played a Morse but now I'm looking with interest at a Norman anglo. I'd be interested in any comments from people who are familiar with these instruments.

Sue

I've tried quite a few Marcus Anglos and they've all been nice instruments but for me the Normans stood out as something a bit special from the first time I picked one up. I'm not sure how to explain it but the Norman just "feels" a better more responsive instrument. This has even shown on an unintentional blind test, when I picked up an Anglo at a festival stall and tried it without checking the maker. I immediately liked it very much and lo and behold, when I did check - it was a Norman.

At the end of the day I'd be happy with a Marcus, but I'd be happier with a Norman - which is why I bought one! :)

PS Antony (AP) James also makes a nice Anglo - he used to work for Andrew Norman, but now is in business on his own and may not have such a long waiting list.

I am on the AP james waiting list, currently 6 months. I do plan to do a proper reveiw when I recieve it. He worked on the hobgoblin "sherwood" anglo also. Despite what his website dipicts he does offer his instrument with metel ends and traditional strap screws if you want em, also extra bellows folds!

jake

Anyone know where to find prices and technical details of the Norman concertinas? Their homepage is not very helpful - just shows the outsides and tells you the number of buttons.

Are they traditional-reeded or accordion-reeded? If the latter, how are they mounted?

Cheers,

John

Anyone know where to find prices and technical details of the Norman concertinas? Their homepage is not very helpful - just shows the outsides and tells you the number of buttons.

Are they traditional-reeded or accordion-reeded? If the latter, how are they mounted?

Cheers,

John

The best thing is to email Andy Norman through the site with your questions.

Cheers,

John

Norman Concertinas are (high quality) accordion reeded, with the reed frames held in place on the reed pan with a screw - flat onto the reed pan, not in a bank, melodion style.

David

Norman Concertinas are (high quality) accordion reeded, with the reed frames held in place on the reed pan with a screw - flat onto the reed pan, not in a bank, melodion style.

David,

That sounds encouraging. I think I'll just drop them an e-mail!

Thanks,

John