Cutting leather

A feathered edge on leather can be achieved in two ways one that you cut the leather to size and then with a scalpel or razor (the old cut throat razors are great)feather the edge to provide a nice clean finish to repairs, or bellows construction.

A quicker way I use is to angle the cut at about 30-45 degrees and using the rule or straight edge as a guide cut the leather doing the feathering at the same time.

Al

A feathered edge on leather can be achieved in two ways one that you cut the leather to size and then with a scalpel or razor (the old cut throat razors are great)feather the edge to provide a nice clean finish to repairs, or bellows construction.

A quicker way I use is to angle the cut at about 30-45 degrees and using the rule or straight edge as a guide cut the leather doing the feathering at the same time.

Al

A scharf-fix is a very handy tool for this job.

http://hmi.homewood.net/bellows/IMG_6645.JPG

Al

Not seen one of these tools Bob thanks for showing it.

Have you got woodworm problems?

Al

Al

Not seen one of these tools Bob thanks for showing it.

Have you got woodworm problems?

Al

ha, I had to take a look to catch your drift there.

That is the result of 20 years abuse of the bench corner.....plywood may not have been the best choice.

Question on cutting; I currently cut across the leather and than use the scharf-fix to get the thickness down. What I am wondering is the possibility of doing a spiral with the leather at a specific width would actually save more leather? Or am I looking for trouble I don't need?

Michael

Edited for spelling

Edited by Michael Marino

Al

if you are not an old strop like Al this

cut throat for use with replaceable standard safety razor blades may do the business. They are the weapon of choice (since HIV) for most street barbers across the Himalayas and as sharp as you are prepared to pay on the pack of safety blades --u snap the latter in half and slide into blade holder, so no strop needed.

I got a similar one recently from hairdresser suppliers, back of Angel Market Islington tho a bit dearer than this one below, and I did not realise there was a half blade supplied and in it and nearly cut myself ..... New blade original cuthroats can only be afforded by Jeffries players :lol: :lol: at from 70 to 160 quid , but old rusty ones all over boot sales!

http://www.coolblades.co.uk/jaguar-r1-razor.html