pre-novice

Is this a good English concertina to start on and do accordion reeds sound more mellow?

Cheers

I can't answer the first part of your question. As for the reeds, there will be people who passionately maintain that "proper" reeds are better, and people who "speak up for" accordion reeds. Note the difference in emphasis.

I had a Rochelle Anglo and the accordeon reeds were OK. I upgraded to a Marcus and the sound of the hand tune accordeon reeds was far better. I then upgraded to a concertina with traditional reeds and it is a whole new experience - a purer, warmer sound that carries better.

But reeds vary in quality and the sound varies according to how they are mounted, and other variables. It's always good to try before you buy. All the keen musicians I know (whatever their instruments) will say buy the best you can afford, and immediately start saving for a better one...

I must preface my remarks with the disclaimer that my live-in-person experience extends only to accordion-reeded concertinas.

My understanding is that, in general, you will find accordion reeds to be brighter, and traditional reeds to be more mellow.

Somebody tell me if I'm off base.

I must preface my remarks with the disclaimer that my live-in-person experience extends only to accordion-reeded concertinas.

My understanding is that, in general, you will find accordion reeds to be brighter, and traditional reeds to be more mellow.

Somebody tell me if I'm off base.

I think that accordion reeds generally have a different balance of harmonics, so the concertina reed is more of a pure note. In some cases, that can make the concertina reed shrill, but in others, bright. But reeds can be made of different metals and can be different qualities, mounted differently, and so on.