beginner's English ?

I have not posted here before, and need some advice. I play an Anglo, and want to "upgrade" to an English type concertina. However, I want to spend the minimum amount for it. Of course, I don't want something which defies repair due to bad design, or cheap construction. But since I am not sure I will continue with it , I don't want to spend a great deal of money for one of the better known classic instruments.

If I am not being naive/unreasonable here, I hope someone can suggest a source or model that might fit my criteria.

Thanks in advance for your time

I have not posted here before, and need some advice. I play an Anglo, and want to "upgrade" to an English type concertina. However, I want to spend the minimum amount for it. Of course, I don't want something which defies repair due to bad design, or cheap construction. But since I am not sure I will continue with it , I don't want to spend a great deal of money for one of the better known classic instruments.

If I am not being naive/unreasonable here, I hope someone can suggest a source or model that might fit my criteria.

The page at http://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/conc-mak.htm has some more information on the general question of what kinds of concertinas can be had.

My advice is: you want a Jackie, and if for some reason you don't want a Jackie, then maybe you want a Stagi?

Although, wisely has it been written: get the most expensive one you can, and then sell it along if it doesn't work out. If you don't mind spending four digits up front, your options open up considerably.

The page at http://www.concertin...aq/conc-mak.htm has some more information on the general question of what kinds of concertinas can be had.

My advice is: you want a Jackie, and if for some reason you don't want a Jackie, then maybe you want a Stagi?

Stagi of similar quality is three times more expensive then Jackie. Good for you, you have no options at all. Jackie is the one. Unless you want to flush $100 down the drain.

What everyone else has said, basically - get a Jackie.

Even if you only play it for 6 months before spending on a better box, you've got 6 months-worth of playing under your belt, and you'll have confirmed that you are an English player without spending ridiculous amounts of money.

Certainly worked for me!