Wheatstone Name Plates

Paul Read

I've been asked a question that is quite interesting but I don't know the answer. When did the Wheatstone nameplate changes happen? I'm thinking of anglos here but it probably was common to English too. I havehad 1916 and 1924 Linotas with oval openings. At one stage (I think on English but maybe on anglos) there was the fancy, squared stamp into the metal. Later on there was the double circle. However, my correspondent says he has (or had) a Linota, 1916, with the double circle. Can anyone enlighten us?

Thanks

Three possible data points:

My 1913 Model 21 EC has an oval opening with the label showing through it.

My 1921 tenor treble aeola has a fancy squareish metal label stamped into its metal ends.

My 1942 Crane has the double circle.

I've been asked a question that is quite interesting but I don't know the answer. When did the Wheatstone nameplate changes happen? I'm thinking of anglos here but it probably was common to English too. I havehad 1916 and 1924 Linotas with oval openings. At one stage (I think on English but maybe on anglos) there was the fancy, squared stamp into the metal. Later on there was the double circle. However, my correspondent says he has (or had) a Linota, 1916, with the double circle. Can anyone enlighten us?

Thanks

It's more complicated than finding a date, on which nameplates changed.

Browsing through the ledgers, you can see different kinds of labels used at the same time.

at least between 1910 and 1932 you can find special label marks alongside the serial numbers:

Oval Labels, (Gold) Ring Labels, Metal Labels or Best Labels, Oval metal labels, Best Metal labels.

• 4 weeks later...

It's more complicated than finding a date, on which nameplates changed.

Browsing through the ledgers, you can see different kinds of labels used at the same time.

at least between 1910 and 1932 you can find special label marks alongside the serial numbers:

Oval Labels, (Gold) Ring Labels, Metal Labels or Best Labels, Oval metal labels, Best Metal labels.

What's also interesting is why Wheatstone felt they needed to record this information in the first place.