May Fair 30 Button Concertina, 1950s

Hello Everyone:

I was given this Wheatsone Concertina recently and I am trying to figure out its worth.

May Fair 30 button Concertina, 1950s

Its in good condition (some nicks and wear), has 6 leather bellows, looks like plastic buttons, and veneer ends. The only serial number I see is 686 (or 989)stamped on the side. It plays but I don't.

Any estimates or help with this matter would be welcome.

Thanks so much.

Randy Britt

RI, USA

TRIWOOKIE@YAHOO.COM

Hi Triwookie. It's pretty hard to put a value on an instrument without knowing more about it, like how it plays. I would suggest that your best bet is to take it to an expert. Luckily, there's one not too terribly far from you (not more than a couple of hours) -- The Button Box in Amherst, MA. There are links all over this site, because they're one of the major sponsors. They'll be able to tell you what it's worth better than anyone could on the board, not having seen or played it.

:)

Steven

Don't get too worked up about the value of this concertina. Mayfairs were not made by Wheatstones but by some Italian outfit and resold under the Wheatstone name. They have accordion reeds rather than concertina reeds, and although the quality of construction is not high it is generally accepted to be higher than equivalent Stagi or Chinese instruments. In good condition it's worth probably a few hundred dollars, but it would be worth, as suggested, running it pas the wizards of Amherst and seeing what they say.

I've never known who actually made Mayfairs. Does anyone else know?

Chris

Of course, it occurs to me that the greatest value of a musical instrument lies in playing it. Triwookie, have you thought about learning to play (you say you don't currently)?

:)

Steven

I recently took a friend's Mayfair to the Button Box and was told that with a complete overhaul it might sell for around $600. It was an interesting little box, with Bakelite ends, and a sweet tone when it didn't wheeze pathetically!

You don't say if its a 'English' or 'Anglo' system. English have small loops for the thumbs, while Anglos have large straps to put your hands in. In today's market, the anglo would fetch more than the English, although at the time of manufacture (1955-60) they both cost 13 guineas (13.65 UKP) with the 36 button English costing a massive 18 guineas (18.90 UKP).

Edited to add MayFair Anglo illustration.

post-4-1084986333.jpg

Edited by wes williams

Mayfairs were not made by Wheatstones but by some Italian outfit and resold under the Wheatstone name.

Actually, they were made by Wheatstone's (and I bought the remaining stock of parts off Steve Dickinson a couple of years ago), using imported accordion reeds, but they called them "The May Fair" in order to avoid putting the Wheatstone name on them.

My late friend Harry Minting, who was then the sales manager of Wheatstone's, saw them as a way of trying to popularise the concertina at the time. He demonstrated what was evidently the May Fair English (perhaps a prototype ?), "The approximate price is £12", at Cecil Sharp House on 8th December 1953, but it was not until the English Dance & Song of Feb./Mar. 1955 that they were first advertised, as "NEW ! The May Fair English Concertina, specially designed for the Folk Dance Musician", available in 30-key English, or anglo, versions for £13, and as a 36-key English for £18 (as Wes has mentioned). The last advertisement appeared in April 1959, so production probably ceased when Wheatstone's moved to Duncan Terrace.

Edited to add photo of a MayFair 30-key English.

post-4-1085062508.jpg

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Actually, they were made by Wheatstone's (and I bought the remaining stock of parts off Steve Dickinson a couple of years ago), using imported accordion reeds, but they called them "The MayFair" in order to avoid putting the Wheatstone name on them.

That explains it. Thanks.

Chris

Am I right in thinking that some of these were metal ended?

Notice that Mayfair in the picture Stephen provided has metal ends, and it appears that Wes' picture of the anglo Mayfair does, too. In fact, the ones I've seen all had metal ends, except in a Matusewitch sales brochure, which pictures both a metal-ended Mayfair and one with "Wood grain plastic finish".

Am I right in thinking that some of these were metal ended?

I seem to remember Bev Whelan having one back in the 1980's.

It may not be too apparent in the photos, but both of the examples illustrated have metal ends, which are the most usual on them. However, I have also had an English one with "mother-of-toilet seat" ends.

By coincidence, I bought Bev's MayFair off her, a few years ago.

Hello all,

I have seen 30-key Mayfair anglos with metal ends and one (possibly like the one that started this thread) with laminated wood (plywood) ends in a varnished mahogany-colored finish, with "f-hole" cut-outs. The last played very well with a nice mellow tone (if a bit "boxed in sounding," relative to a wooden ended Lachenal), and was bought on time payments by a person who stopped paying after one month (well over a year ago). He has admitted to me in an email that he owes me the money, but I have not yet taken legal action. If there is a possibility that it is the SAME wooden ended Mayfair, I would appreciate hearing from Triwookie.

Paul (paul@groffsmusic.com)

• 4 years later...

I have a 30b English 'May Fair' with a number 501 embossed on a bellow frame.

Is there anyway to use this number to narrow the production date down (it seems that MayFairs were produced from approx 1953-1959 so I am being a bit pedantic here) ?

I presume that the May Fairs didn't get recorded in the Wheatstone ledgers?

Thanks,

Neil