Second Anglo Concertina

Hello concertinists,

A year ago I bought a metal-ended Marcus G-C anglo. I am very happy with it (or her / him?) and now I am considering to buy a second one. I am however not sure if it is wise to go for a second G-C (wooden ended), or to chose for another pitch combination like D-A, G-D, etc.

Can someone advise me om this? Most of the time I play Irish / English folk solo and every now and than I am joined by a guitarplayer.

Thanks in advance!

Henk van Aalten

A very good question. I have tended to answer this in the past by buying one and seeing if I had a use for it, relying on the saleability of decent concertinas to be able to recoup my outlay if I didn't like it. I started with C/G and after a few years got a Crabb G/D to see if I had a use or it. Now I have 4 G/D's, I can't get enough of them. But I still have a C/G because they are the ones most used in workshops, and it best suits my singing voice.

Conversely about a year ago I bought a Lachenal Bb/F. That's going up for sale soon because I don't, as it turns out, have a use for it.

So based on my experience I would say try G/D next. But, as our US friends would sya, Your Mileage May Vary.

Chris

One question you need to consider (which you have not answered for us) concerns singing. Do you sing when you play? Would you if you could play in a more convenient key (or range) than your present instrument allows?

When trying out prospective instruments, I'd say you should see if you can sing your favorite songs along with them.