Looking for Beta testers of a wireless Concertina MIDI controller app

Hi y'all,

I'm taking the iPhone apps to the next level and developing a wireless polyphonic English MIDI concertina controller app called "Miditina" based on Englitina. This app uses WiFi to send MIDI control data to either a Mac or Windows system running a small server application, the MIDI data can then be delivered to sequencers, software synths, or routed to external hardware synths connected to the system via a hardware MIDI interface. It supports note transposition and optional realtime control messages like volume, expression, modulation, and breath control using the accelerometer built into every iPhone/iPod Touch.

In my home studio, I'm able to test the Windows configuration, which is working really well, but before I release the app, I'd really like to get some feedback and some testing on Macs and other Windows configurations, so I'm looking for anyone who might be interested in being a beta tester.

Here's the requirements:

You must have an iPhone or iPod Touch (2nd generation or newer) running OS 3.0 or newer.

You must have a Mac OS X or Windows based computer and are familiar with use of MIDI port routing on the platform, use of software synthesizers, sequencers, and installation of drivers, etc.

Ideally, you should have a hardware MIDI interface on the computer connected to an external MIDI synth.

You must have a home network that is visible to both the computer either via WiFi or Ethernet, and the iPhone/iPod Touch via WiFi.

If you meet these requirements and would be interested in being a beta tester, please contact me via private message.

Here's more information about the application:

http://www.tradlessons.com/Miditina.html

I would like to complete the testing in the next couple of weeks, looking for two or three beta testers.

Once this version is done, I can also easily adapt the underlying engine to do a MacCann and Hayden version if there is interest.

Cheers and many thanks,

Michael

Edited by eskin

...to either a PC or Windows system...

Er, would that be either a Mac or Windows (or either a PC or Mac) system?

Not that I'm eligible for this anyway, not owning an iPhone or an iPod Touch of any vintage...

Joshua Mackay-Smith

...to either a PC or Windows system...

Er, would that be either a Mac or Windows (or either a PC or Mac) system?

Not that I'm eligible for this anyway, not owning an iPhone or an iPod Touch of any vintage...

Joshua Mackay-Smith

Thanks, good catch... now fixed.

What's really cool is that multiple iPhone or iPod Touches (up to 16) can run the app simultaneously, each sending messages on its own MIDI channel to the hardware or software synthesizer. You can have a whole orchestra of wireless MIDI concertinas!

What's really cool is that multiple iPhone or iPod Touches (up to 16) can run the app simultaneously, each sending messages on its own MIDI channel to the hardware or software synthesizer. You can have a whole orchestra of wireless MIDI concertinas!

Sounds incredible!!!

I've expanded the app features to support having it be a general purpose 27-button MIDI controller, with one of the options being an English Concertina button mapping, the other options being simple chromatic or just numbered buttons sending sequential MIDI note numbers.

You can now select between English concertina, chromatic, and generic number labeled buttons. This allows it to be used as a general purpose controller for non-concertina as well as concertina applications, and the ability to control volume, expression, modulation, etc. using the tilt of the device is extremely cool to use.

Edited by eskin

Miditina 1.0 has been submitted to Apple for approval.

Here's a few screen shots:

Main screen (looks just like Englitina, except for the MIDI and All Notes Off buttons):

4422882324_08732041b6_o.jpg

English Concertina layout:

4422116795_573d531059_o.jpg

Chromatic Layout (there is also a vertically inverted version of this as well):

4425986687_55e8618e5f_o.jpg

27 Numbered Buttons Layout (there's also an inverted version):

4425986653_b9def06bc2_o.jpg

MIDI Settings showing Realtime controllers (via tilt):

4427489570_352845854d_o.jpg

Hopefully, this one will glide through the approval process...

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by eskin

Michael, what do I need "on the other side" - what is the simlest test-configuration with - say a laptop?

You need either a Mac running GarageBand (just saw that work for the first time this morning) or a Windows system running either a standalone sample player, like Native Instruments Kontakt or a sequencing program like Cubase that supports VST software instruments.Alternatively, if you have a hardware synth external MIDI module and a hardware MIDI interface for the computer, the app can directly play the hardware synth.

To work, the computer must be connected (ideally via Ethernet) to the same network as the WiFi access point that the iPhone/iPod Touch is connected to.

You will find detailed setup instructions on the setup on the app website. Unfortunately, compared to the rest of my apps that you just load and play, these new apps are targetted tothose who are already experienced with the use of MIDI software, controllers and VST instruments, plus have to be comfortable with networking.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by eskin

Hi y'all,

I'm taking the iPhone apps to the next level and developing a wireless polyphonic English MIDI concertina controller app called "Miditina" based on Englitina. This app uses WiFi to send MIDI control data to either a Mac or Windows system running a small server application, the MIDI data can then be delivered to sequencers, software synths, or routed to external hardware synths connected to the system via a hardware MIDI interface. It supports note transposition and optional realtime control messages like volume, expression, modulation, and breath control using the accelerometer built into every iPhone/iPod Touch.

In my home studio, I'm able to test the Windows configuration, which is working really well, but before I release the app, I'd really like to get some feedback and some testing on Macs and other Windows configurations, so I'm looking for anyone who might be interested in being a beta tester.

Here's the requirements:

You must have an iPhone or iPod Touch (2nd generation or newer) running OS 3.0 or newer.

You must have a Mac OS X or Windows based computer and are familiar with use of MIDI port routing on the platform, use of software synthesizers, sequencers, and installation of drivers, etc.

Ideally, you should have a hardware MIDI interface on the computer connected to an external MIDI synth.

You must have a home network that is visible to both the computer either via WiFi or Ethernet, and the iPhone/iPod Touch via WiFi.

If you meet these requirements and would be interested in being a beta tester, please contact me via private message.

Here's more information about the application:

I would like to complete the testing in the next couple of weeks, looking for two or three beta testers.

Once this version is done, I can also easily adapt the underlying engine to do a MacCann and Hayden version if there is interest.

Cheers and many thanks,

Michael

I would love to beta test! I have the iPhone, etc., etc.

Patrick