Any concertina players play the ukulele too?

Hello

I'm finding my self drawn to the Ukulele lately, just a bit. It seems to share some of the aesthetics of the concertina:

1.Charming

2.Small efficient size

3.Fun to play

4.There are lovely vintage instruments around (as well as new makes)

I'm just wondering are any concertina players out there also hot for ukes?

Richard

Not yet! I think I'm at about the same stage you are... except probably less experienced with the concertina. My next planned acquisition is a melodeon, but after that (maybe for Christmas?) I may acquire something with strings.

Get this, though: I think I want a banjo-ukulele. Eh?

Hello

I'm finding my self drawn to the Ukulele lately, just a bit. It seems to share some of the aesthetics of the concertina:

1.Charming

2.Small efficient size

3.Fun to play

4.There are lovely vintage instruments around (as well as new makes)

I'm just wondering are any concertina players out there also hot for ukes?

Richard

I play the Ukulele:

http://hmi.homewood.net/sounds/stars.wav

do .wav files still work?

I play the Ukulele:

Me too. But not as good as Bob. He's one of the greats (to my taste).

Ukes have one unbeatable advantage over concertina: $300 will buy your some of the best playing instruments. A Flea is $110 and a Fluke is some $200 and these are best overall instruments money could buy.

I play the Ukulele:

Me too. But not as good as Bob. He's one of the greats (to my taste).

Ukes have one unbeatable advantage over concertina: $300 will buy your some of the best playing instruments. A Flea is $110 and a Fluke is some $200 and these are best overall instruments money could buy.

Folkus 2010 at Waddow had a uke side group for rock bottom starters which turned out a treat and a barrowload of them were for sale at under a tenner I think - it's not the instrument but the player..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ukuleles are a lot of fun, and enjoying a big resurgence (http://mightyukemovie.com). You don't have to play like Jake Shimabukuro (

) to have a good time with one.

To me, the great thing about Ukuleles is how easy it is to learn a few chords and start singing along. Also mid-priced Ukuleles (Fleas for instance) are quite affordable, playable, and very portable.

There are Ukulele Clubs springing up almost everywhere, and it's great fun to play with others. I play Upright Bass with the Berkeley Ukulele Club in Mike DaSilva's shop (www.ukemaker.com). It's hard to take yourself too seriously with a Ukulele in your hands - a great relief.

....Lyle

A few years ago, I saw Pete Kennedy (a very good guitarist, but not, so far as I know, a concertina player) play "Rhapsody in Blue" on a ukelele. He also played slide guitar using the neck of his uke...

jdms

I also play the ukulele. I have a small one at this time. I hope to pick up a tenor size this summer. English concertina, melodeon and ukulele together make a quiver of instruments that can be managed. Perhaps not as light as a bundle of whistles, but better than when I was hauling melodeon, concertina, guitar, banjo and bouzouki. I'm thinking hayden concertina and uke should cover the key of c quite well. I have been hearing some very nice finger style uke lately. Eric