40 button concertina

I saw a picture of a 40 button concertina with an anglo type handle

and the buttons are arranged just like a 30 button anglo with a

fourth row on top. Is it likely to be an anglo or perhaps some sort of duet?

The ends are wooden and look like the fancier lachenal version.

Thanks, David

I saw a picture of a 40 button concertina with an anglo type handle

and the buttons are arranged just like a 30 button anglo with a

fourth row on top. Is it likely to be an anglo or perhaps some sort of duet?

The ends are wooden and look like the fancier lachenal version.

It certainly could be an anglo, but there's no way to be certain without more details.

Is the picture something we can look at online? Was it really only one picture? If so, how can you be sure of the total number of buttons?

If it's a duet, it's an unusual one. Then again, if it's four rows of 5 buttons each on both ends, I think that would make it unusual for an anglo, too.

I only saw one picture of what I am pretty sure was the left side. The buttons were fairly visible and were arranged in four horizontal rows of five buttons, and they appear to be in the arc of a typical anglo. I will try to post the picture of it, and will be able to see it in a couple of weeks.

David

Here is the photo.... Hope this helps to ID this instrument.

Looks exactly like the left-hand end of a 48-button Crane duet. The right hand end has (of course) 28 buttons, in 6 rows, though the top row has only the three central buttons.

Thanks Jim,

I hope to get a look at it soon, and I will fill everybody in on it, condition and price.

David

Yep, as Jim says definitely a Crane Duet. Comparitively rare, so, if it suits you and the price does too. (And it's not completely knackered of course!). I'd buy it.

There is always a market for Crane Duets. And, as I say, they don't pop up that often.

Let us know what happens.

Ralph

Looks exactly like the left-hand end of a 48-button Crane duet. The right hand end has (of course) 28 buttons, in 6 rows, though the top row has only the three central buttons.

Hi Jim.

Not being a pedant honest! But I tend to describe MacCanns and Cranes as having columns rather than rows. Heading upward from the hand strap.

Ergo The MacCann has 6 Columns and the Crane has 5...It seems easier for the new player to distinguish the 2 systems easily. (OK I am being a pedant! Lol!)

Not being a pedant honest! But I tend to describe MacCanns and Cranes as having columns rather than rows. Heading upward from the hand strap.

Ergo The MacCann has 6 Columns and the Crane has 5...It seems easier for the new player to distinguish the 2 systems easily. (OK I am being a pedant! Lol!)

I agree with you about columns versus rows, but...

The left-hand end of 48-button Crane has 5 columns and 4 rows (as in the photo), while the right-hand side has 5 columns and 6 rows, with the top row incomplete.

I.e., the three central columns have 6 buttons each, while the two outer columns each have 5 buttons.