Rochelle Key STicking

Hi all,

Has anyone else had trouble with a key sticking on a new Rochelle? The C/D key on the right hand end is sticking and sounding continuously. I bought the Rochelle two weeks ago and have played it quite a bit already. (18-22 hours I would guess.) Any suggestions? Thanks, Dave.

Hi all,

Has anyone else had trouble with a key sticking on a new Rochelle? The C/D key on the right hand end is sticking and sounding continuously. I bought the Rochelle two weeks ago and have played it quite a bit already. (18-22 hours I would guess.) Any suggestions? Thanks, Dave.

Broken or dislodged spring ????

Hi all,

There could be several reasons. We need more information, e.g. does the key actually stick fast in the pressed down position? (could be a bushing problem). Does it flop about and not return properly? (would suggest a broken or detached spring) .. etc. Sometimes on a new instrument, even a change in temperature and humidity can cause a button to stick temporarily; or a bit of workshop dust/debris can get lodged somewhere it shouldn't.

The best thing you can do is have a look for yourself. Concertinas are designed to be disassembled and reassembled. Start by unscrewing the 6 bolts around the end. Make sure you have the correctly-sized screwdriver, and gradually release the bolts by working from opposite sides rather than sequentially round the circumference. Lay the bolts to one side and remember the order and holes they came from so you can put them back in the same hole afterwards.

The end should now be able to be released from the bellows. I'm not completely familiar with the construction of a Rochelle, but you should then see the flat inside face of the action board which butts up to the reed chambers. There should be a further screw(s) which you can then release to gain access to the action. You will probably also need to release the handstrap bolt too. You should then be able to see the action levers, springs and pads, and careful examination of the offending button/lever, comparing it with its neighbours, should help you pinpoint what is wrong.

There's no mystique involved. Just go carefully and methodically, one stage at a time; make sure you have the right-sized tools. And before you move on to the next stage, be sure in your own mind that you can reassemble everything from your current position.

Let us know how you get on and tell us what you see/do.

Good advice from Steve_freereader, but a quick note of advice / caution.

I've not dismantled a Rochelle, but have taken the lid off of one of their EC cousin, the Jackie.

On the Jackie the buttons are loosely attached to the ends of the springs, pretty much by the combination of the pressure from the spring and the 'collar' effect of the holes through the end; so when you take the end off you'll find that the buttons are pretty much unsupported, and may shift relative to their proper vertical position.

Nothing to panic about and easy to sort out - but you'll do yourself a big favour if you make sure that you have the Rochelle absolutely vertical and well supported when you take the end off, because the less sideways movement you get when the end comes off, the less trouble you'll have getting the end back on!

Don't worry, the first time is always the most nerve-wracking ... you'll most likely find that the end of the spring has parted company with the button. Shift that back into place, get the end back on and you're away.

Hi all,

I had a similar problem on my Elise (close relative of the Rochelle) when it was new. One of the pads wasn't sealing properly because it was slightly out of alignment and getting hung up on an adjacent pad. I bent the action lever a little bit and that solved the problem.

You also might want to contact Concertina Connection and ask their advice.

On a related note, I've been attempting to tamper with my Jackie. I can remove the end-assembly from the bellows, but can't figure out how to open up the action. Steve_freereeder suggests that there may be further screws on the inside, but I haven't seen any. It looks like the most promising angle of attack is to just pull on the reedblocks-- they don't budge, though, and I'm hesitant to pull harder until I know that's the right way.

Hints?

On a related note, I've been attempting to tamper with my Jackie. I can remove the end-assembly from the bellows, but can't figure out how to open up the action. Steve_freereeder suggests that there may be further screws on the inside, but I haven't seen any. It looks like the most promising angle of attack is to just pull on the reedblocks-- they don't budge, though, and I'm hesitant to pull harder until I know that's the right way.

Hints?

I also sent a note to Wim Wakker at CC and he was VERY helpful. Cpomplete instructions were sent my way via the miracle of email. He also said that repairs are free if I was hesitant to try them myself. I was very impressed. Wim states on the Rochelle "...there are 2 small screws in the top and bottom corner, usually under the rubber gasket. You can peel the gasket off a little to expose the screws. Unscrew these two screws and turn it over again. It will sit on the reedblocks...." Hope this helps. Dave

I wasn't aware that there were additional screws inside a Rochelle, but you might like to read through this thread.

When I had a sticking key it was the riveted pivot that caused the problem. A little graphite powder (available from locksmiths) will sort this kind of problem out out.

I wasn't aware that there were additional screws inside a Rochelle, but you might like to read through this thread.

When I had a sticking key it was the riveted pivot that caused the problem. A little graphite powder (available from locksmiths) will sort this kind of problem out out.

Thanks much. I had missed the thread when searching for an answer. It is great info. Dave aka up-fiddler

Hi all,

I am having a similar issue with my rochelle that i got about a week ago. whenever i press down my f#/d button on the g row, the b/g button just above it comes down, as well. I opened the concertina up, to see what the matter was, but I couldn't find the problem:(

Hi all,

I am having a similar issue with my rochelle that i got about a week ago. whenever i press down my f#/d button on the g row, the b/g button just above it comes down, as well. I opened the concertina up, to see what the matter was, but I couldn't find the problem:(

I would advise dropping Wim Wakker a line. He was quite helpful on my behalf and the response was right away. Others here are likely know how to fix your specific issue though so I would not be at all surprised to find many answers in short order. Good luck, Dave. aka up-fiddler

Edited by up-fiddler