March Gigs

My concertinas and I will be seeing a few people this March. Seems such a pity that Irish trad becomes so commercialized in March, but also great to play for an audience. I will be playing in Dallas for the North Texas Irish Fest this weekend, then St Patrick's Day back home in central Florida, followed by the Southeast Tionól in Atlanta the weekend of March 27. Who else is putting the mile on the buttons this month?

My concertinas and I will be seeing a few people this March. Seems such a pity that Irish trad becomes so commercialized in March, but also great to play for an audience. I will be playing in Dallas for the North Texas Irish Fest this weekend, then St Patrick's Day back home in central Florida, followed by the Southeast Tionól in Atlanta the weekend of March 27. Who else is putting the mile on the buttons this month?

Well I start my World tour next Monday at Charlwood (about five miles away)

Sadly it is the only booking I have so far

Al :(

Well I'll be off to the Music Institute Folk Club in Guildford on Friday (5th March ) .... ten minutes' walk up the hill ..... but as it's that close, and I won't be taking the tina (unaccompanied singing on my part on Friday) , I suppose that doesn't count?? :rolleyes:

I'm playing three sets on the Saturday before St. Pat's (the day of the parade), and another set on St Pat's itsel, in a big ol' fake Irish pub. Another proud March for my band, The Sisters of Murphy!

And where will I be in March.

On the

16th I'll be on the Esbjörg, Denmark to Harwich Ferry.

19th.Checking out one of Englands Oldest Folk Song Clubs SWINDON 50 years old !!

22nd. The George, Bradford on Avon. With Chris Timson and co.

25th. Stortfolk, Bishop's Stortford

27th. Melodeons & More, Mendlesham, Stowmarket, Suffolk

29th Waltham Abbey Folk Club

31st. Back on the ferry Harwich to Esbjörg, Denmark.

And all for free. (Well I'm paying to be at Mendlesham)

Edited by fidjit

I can't /believe/ the miles you're prepared to travel to avoid being at the Frittenden Festival Chas!

I say see http://frittendenfestival.co, and reconsider...

Gav

And where will I be in March.

On the

16th I'll be on the Esbjörg, Denmark to Harwich Ferry.

19th.Checking out one of Englands Oldest Folk Song Clubs SWINDON 50 years old !!

22nd. The George, Bradford on Avon. With Chris Timson and co.

25th. Stortfolk, Bishop's Stortford

27th. Melodeons & More, Mendlesham, Stowmarket, Suffolk

29th Waltham Abbey Folk Club

31st. Back on the ferry Harwich to Esbjörg, Denmark.

And all for free. (Well I'm paying to be at Mendlesham)

I'm just back from my first March gig-- we were playing for a dance with a demo at a fund raiser for the Lincoln Log Cabin historic site. The cabin is where Lincoln's parents lived in eastern Illinois. I was playing both EC and fiddle with Flatland Consort. I played concertina on Johann Strauss's Martha Quadrille (a dance done at Lincoln's first inaugural) and the Waltz Cotillion. Most of the rest of the time I was playing fiddle, with occasional breaks on EC. Next week there's a dance in Urbana, the following week there's a dance weekend in Urbana for wich we're playing for a workshop. Great fun!

Now if only the local Irish session would get organized so I could have a regular place to play without a 100 mile drive.

I'm just back from my first March gig-- we were playing for a dance with a demo at a fund raiser for the Lincoln Log Cabin historic site. The cabin is where Lincoln's parents lived in eastern Illinois. I was playing both EC and fiddle with Flatland Consort. I played concertina on Johann Strauss's Martha Quadrille (a dance done at Lincoln's first inaugural) and the Waltz Cotillion. Most of the rest of the time I was playing fiddle, with occasional breaks on EC. Next week there's a dance in Urbana, the following week there's a dance weekend in Urbana for wich we're playing for a workshop. Great fun!

Now if only the local Irish session would get organized so I could have a regular place to play without a 100 mile drive.

Hey, I have actually played my concertina their last spring while I was working in Champaign. I had actually went down there to see the oxen,but they weren't there, so I ended up in the cabin and played a few old time tunes with some of the reinactors.

Alan

Hi Laurence. My tinas and I will be heading to the Tionol at the end of this month and hope to see you there. If you have any recommendation as to which hotel most attendees are heading for, I'd appreciate it.

Ross Schlabach

[

I will be at the Courtyard by Marriott again this year. It is walking distance to the Harp Pub, where the sessions and Friday night gathering are held. There is also an Indian restaurant and a breakfast place all in easy walk. Looking forward to it myself, just off the plane form playing at North Texas Irish Fest. Little sleep but lots of great tunes.

quote name=RP3' date='08 March 2010 - 06:55 AM' timestamp='1268049307' post='109647]

Hi Laurence. My tinas and I will be heading to the Tionol at the end of this month and hope to see you there. If you have any recommendation as to which hotel most attendees are heading for, I'd appreciate it.

Ross Schlabach

I can't /believe/ the miles you're prepared to travel to avoid being at the Frittenden Festival Chas!

There's a letter missing in the link.

Try this:

Jim I'll (we, my sympathetic lady and I)) will be passing through your town around lunch time on Tuesday 16th. on our way to Esbjerg ferry.

Gavin. Sorry my friend. It was planned, but have to spend some time with daughter as well, whilst I'm over there..

Jim I'll (we, my sympathetic lady and I)) will be passing through your town around lunch time on Tuesday 16th. on our way to Esbjerg ferry.

So should we meet for lunch, or should I just come down to the corner and wave as you drive past?

(The road from the ferry to the motorway passes about 100 m from my apartment.)

There's a letter missing in the link.

Try this:

Gavin. Sorry my friend. It was planned, but have to spend some time with daughter as well, whilst I'm over there..

Your daughter!?! Well now, that puts a completely different complexion on the situation. I know how it is and how it must be; happily I have one too!

Gav