English Stagi Versus Jackie

Does anyone have experience with both the Jackie offered by ConcertinaConnection and an English Stagi (such as the A-30-S or A-48-S)? I'm interested as to if there is any advantage spending more for a Stagi in terms of tone or action.

Thanks for your responses,

Bill Erickson

Bill,

My first English was a used Bastari (Stagi) and I have had a chance to play a Jackie. The Bastari's bellows were on the way out by the time I owned it, so I can't speak as to one or the other in that department. The action and tone are far superior on the Jackie I played. The buttons were always sticking on that Bastari (again used Bastari vs. new Jackie). I understand the Jackie has some sort of riveted action which should hold you in better stead until you upgrade.

Consider your pocket. If English is going to be your thing, you'll be looking and coveting elsewhere soon enough.

The Jackie action shown on EBay auction # 3724789109 doesn't look like riveted action to me. While I can't speak on the merits of the Jackie I did play a Stagi 48 button tenor for over 15 years and never had a problem. While the action is not the same as a standard concertina it is riveted. More important it has a good tone, fast action and I never had a problem with it. I still have it and play it although my Lachenal New Model has a better tone and quieter action.

Still, the Jackie appears to be cheaper and I have play several Stagis that were not very good.

The Jackie action shown on EBay auction # 3724789109 doesn't look like riveted action to me.

I don't think it's possible to tell from that photo. If I blow it up, there's just not enough resolution to see. But current Jackie's do have riveted action. And Concertina Connection is the source, so you would be sure of getting the current model, warranty, and all.

Still, the Jackie appears to be cheaper and I have play several Stagis that were not very good.

Stagis can be fine, but they have a reputation for poor quality control, so if you get a Stagi, go through a reputable dealer (Button Box, Bob Tedrow, or House of Musical Traditions), who will -- among other things -- make sure that the instrument you get isn't defective. Beware of hose who sell cheap on eBay; they don't even seem to be able to tell when the notes are in the wrong place.

If you do get a Stagi, don't bother with the 30-button model; get the 48. Since you're already a musician, you'll appreciate at least some of the extra range. In fact, while I'm pleased with the Jackie, and have gotten 3 for friends to play, you should know that it's top note is A above high C. If that will be a problem for you (many Irish tunes go up to B, though many others don't), then you should go straight for the Stagi 48. In fact, you might want to go for their 48-button tenor model, which goes down to C below middle C (viola low C), but with a 3½-octave range should still go quite high enough.