Identifying a rare anglo 20b in Spain

Spaniard_Johnny

Hi everyone

This is my first message here, so I'll introduce myself. I'm from Spain, an unusual place for playing concertina, but anyway I like a lot these little boxes. I play by ear, mostly european repertory (not Irish) and Spanish traditional music that I like to arrange for my concertina. My instrument from several years ago is a cheap Hohner 20b anglo concertina, but I'm saving money for a good 20b vintage one.

This message is because surprisingly I've find this add in a second hand shop website and I don't know the maker, age, etc. of this concertina. Unfortunately there are no photos of the reeds and the action. ¿Somebody know something about it? I'm not interested in this box as my main instrument, perhaps for restoring but I'm very curious because is quite rare to find them here in Spain...

The url of the add is http://www.segundamano.es/jaen/antigua-concertina-alglosajona-20-botones/a18825778/?ca=23_s&c=27

Thanks a lot for your help, I find c.net very useful and I have learnt a lot reading your forums.

Very good people here!

Hi

I would bet that concertina is a German made 20 button with accordion reeds. It has nicer ends than most of that type. Where the buttons are missing you can see the wooden arms that have the pads glued to their other ends. So one can assume this instrument would not be "top notch" and not much better than your Hohner. But you can give it a try and see if you like it.

That is my guess.

Richard

Edited by richard

Hi there - this is a German made anglo - the giveaway (amongst others) is where the missing button is you can see the wooden lever it would have been glued to - this instrument will be pretty hard to restore and not very satisfying when you have done so - it is likely to have harmonica style reed plates. You would be better saving your money until a better instrument comes along. The 20b lachenal that is/was on the Buy and Sell board here this week would be a much much better purchase.

Hi there - this is a German made anglo - the giveaway (amongst others) is where the missing button is you can see the wooden lever it would have been glued to - this instrument will be pretty hard to restore and not very satisfying when you have done so - it is likely to have harmonica style reed plates. You would be better saving your money until a better instrument comes along. The 20b lachenal that is/was on the Buy and Sell board here this week would be a much much better purchase.

Damn! You're right. Even a Rochelle has better action - and 10 more buttons! -

Oh guys! You are very quick answering! I'm not interested in buying it, I'm waiting for a good refurbished Lachenal from a musician I know in UK, but I was quite intrigued about this instrument... is unusual to find concertinas (old and new) here.

Thanks again for your quick response.

P.S.:Fergus, I live in Madrid.