Learning Hayden in Ireland

I'm an absolute beginner and really want to learn to play a Hayden Duet Concertina. I'm in the West of Ireland.

Anyone know of any teachers around here, or online/dvd instruction?

I don't know of any teachers or teaching materials for Hayden anywhere. Rich Morse was working on a book when he died last year. There's the documents here, but for the most part, all the Hayden players I know are self-taught (edited to add: and amateur musicians), having played other instruments first.

Edited by David Barnert

No, I'm saying I'm not aware of anybody playing it professionally. I've been playing Hayden for 23 years, and I dare say I'm "pretty dang good," but I make my living as an anesthesiologist. I'm not on youtube, but others who are are also quite good. But I doubt any of them is a professional musician.

Thanks for clarifying. I have no plans on quitting my day job (if I actually had a day job). But I'm not 100% sure I'm making the right decision here going for Hayden. Anglo is most popular here, but the bisonoric nature of it seems beyond my grasp. I want to be able to play along with others in different keys and the Hayden's easy transposing is the big draw for me.

Why do you think are there no professional Hayden players? Is it because other systems are better? Or is it more a case of them having a more "traditional" training?

I don't know of any teachers or teaching materials for Hayden anywhere. Rich Morse was working on a book when he died last year. There's the documents here, but for the most part, all the Hayden players I know are self-taught (edited to add: and amateur musicians), having played other instruments first.
The Elise Hayden comes with a pretty good instruction book.

Why do you think are there no professional Hayden players? Is it because other systems are better? Or is it more a case of them having a more "traditional" training?
I think there are no professional Hayden players for the same reason that there are few Hayden players overall: it's because the Hayden is newer than the other systems and until fairly recently was difficult to obtain or to hear. The availability of the Stagi Hayden and now the Elise as well as the recordings on YouTube by Jeff Lefferts (aka Boney) have now changed that, but those are recent developments.

Thanks for clarifying. I have no plans on quitting my day job (if I actually had a day job). But I'm not 100% sure I'm making the right decision here going for Hayden. Anglo is most popular here, but the bisonoric nature of it seems beyond my grasp. I want to be able to play along with others in different keys and the Hayden's easy transposing is the big draw for me.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Hayden Duet. Just to make sure that you understand the transposing limits and abilities of the Hayden: You can play in keys F, C, G, D, A, and E without re-fingering the melody line, and little if any rejiggering of the left hand chords. The "flat" keys are a whole 'nother matter, and best avoided in yur first year.

As for lack of pro Haydenists, well, there aren't that many pro concertina players period in the USA (there's one in Brooklyn, on Anglo), tho guys like Boney and David could probably supplement their incomes without trying too hard.

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer