Wheatstone And Chidley Family Trees

Richard,

There are various street/trade/commercial directories which give some clues. Piggots, Kellys and the Post Office are the main ones.I've tried to summarise the main Wheatstone points in a timeline here, and I'm happy to give more information on any questions it raises via email.

But often things only come to light through chance discovery, or the amalglamation of many snippets of info that are insignificant by themselves.

good luck hunting!

does anyone know where one might find British business records going back to the 19th century? 

It's probably a long shot, but a possibility is to contact the local council for the area involved to find out if their archives would have any worthwhile information: a possibility but maybe not one to raise hopes too high.

- john Wild

a possibility is to contact the local council for the area involved to find out if their archives would have any worthwhile information

I have made some interesting discoveries from Rate Books, as you will see when my PICA article appears, but sometimes they can be very disappointing, like the Westminster ones that don't have the column for "Occupier" filled in.

• 15 years later...
On 4/7/2020 at 2:07 PM, Mike Acott said:

Just a ,thought I recall being told the person who did the fretwork on my baritone tortoiseshell Aeola was Kevin Chidley do you have any other info on this person?

That'd be Kenneth Vernon Chidley, grandson of Edward Chidley (i), who started working for Wheatstone's in 1906 and managed their production by 1924.

But I very much doubt if he did the fretwork on your baritone tortoiseshell Aeola, more likely the ledger entry bears the initials KV for Key Valve - a windkey with a button, rather than a lever projecting from the end.

2 hours ago, Mike Acott said:

... I think it was the other Steve who told me but the memory fades after 35 years or so.

Ditto with the 48-key tortoiseshell Aeola that I used to have...

I had a duet one too, which came to me with a story that it had been made for K.V. Chidley's wife, and that it had reeked of her perfume for many years after its next owner acquired it.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

On 4/2/2020 at 1:23 AM, Kristy said:

I'm reading because my friend is a descendant of Rock Chidley. I realise this is many years later... However

Have you checked city directories and guild directories for further details?

Chris Flint also did some research on the Chidley family more recently than most of the earlier posts and has some related pictures. This can be found at at Joseph Scates Concertinas