Sign in to follow this  
Richard Carlin

Wheatstone And Chidley Family Trees

Richard,

There are various street/trade/commercial directories which give some clues. Piggots, Kellys and the Post Office are the main ones.I've tried to summarise the main Wheatstone points in a timeline here, and I'm happy to give more information on any questions it raises via email.

But often things only come to light through chance discovery, or the amalglamation of many snippets of info that are insignificant by themselves.

good luck hunting!

does anyone know where one might find British business records going back to the 19th century? 

It's probably a long shot, but a possibility is to contact the local council for the area involved to find out if their archives would have any worthwhile information: a possibility but maybe not one to raise hopes too high.

- john Wild

a possibility is to contact the local council for the area involved to find out if their archives would have any worthwhile information

I have made some interesting discoveries from Rate Books, as you will see when my PICA article appears, but sometimes they can be very disappointing, like the Westminster ones that don't have the column for "Occupier" filled in.