Pathe news clip

varney

I don't think these are downloadable, they're for online viewing only. You could contact Pathe but I expect you'd have to pay for it.

The site does display a number of stills from the film which you can save in the usual way.

I don't think these are downloadable, they're for online viewing only. You could contact Pathe but I expect you'd have to pay for it.

The site does display a number of stills from the film which you can save in the usual way.

Interesting - I've certainly downloaded it to my machine in the past ... but it does have the watermark across it. But having looked at the Pathe News site now, the facility no longer seems to be available. Wonder when they withdrew it?

The incidental music didn't really seem to go with the subject matter (I gather it's standard for the period, though)...I'm also amused by the narrator talking about fingering for an English concertina over footage of someone assembling an Anglo. Then there's this, around 1:26: "The concertina, by the way, is the only musical instrument invented by an Englishman--but then, music is the food of love, and Englishmen are reputedly bad lovers." I make no comment other than a snort.

jdms

The incidental music didn't really seem to go with the subject matter (I gather it's standard for the period, though)...I'm also amused by the narrator talking about fingering for an English concertina over footage of someone assembling an Anglo. Then there's this, around 1:26: "The concertina, by the way, is the only musical instrument invented by an Englishman--but then, music is the food of love, and Englishmen are reputedly bad lovers." I make no comment other than a snort.

jdms

Doesn't it look simple. I think I'll just pop into the next room and knock one up before I retire for the night.

Can anyone tell me how to get download this Pathe News clip on concertinas:

http://www.britishpa...cord.php?id=417

I'd like to have a copy on my machine (mac) if it's possible....

thanks...

If you are on PC, you first download CamStudio.

It's a screen downloader, free. It will capture all that is happening on your screen with very good quality (after you tweak it). The downside is that it will record to your mike from speakers. If you have Mac, SnapZpro will do much better job, but you need to buy it for some $50.

It may be that even screen capture tools will only capture black screen, if it's protected. In such a case your camcorder on a tripod will do very good job. The tools of yesteryear are sometimes discarded for no good reason.

Can anyone tell me how to get download this Pathe News clip on concertinas:

http://www.britishpa...cord.php?id=417

I'd like to have a copy on my machine (mac) if it's possible....

thanks...

The clip is a FLV (flash video) file. It's served to your browser from the source server and is intended to be streamed directly to viewing - not downloaded. However, if you look about, there are several readily available browser add-ons that will allow one-click downloading of these files. It's the same as with Youtube videos. Since you're using a MAC, I have no idea as to the name of the addon for your browser, but your favorite software sources should know...

Hi Varney

RTMP means Real Time Messaging Protocol, from Adobe, and there is no known way to capture it (yet). It's protected from the server similar to DRM technology which is supposed to make it uncopyable or unsavable. It was implemented last year around the time the BBC changed their website. In the US, Hulu, Fancast, CBS, etc. use the same technology. None of the usual tricks work, including getting it from cache, since it doesn't use it.

Unfortunately there was a good copy on YouTube, but it's been taken down and not available. If you really want a copy, then Mischa has the best suggestion: Camcorder

Leo

Unfortunately there was a good copy on YouTube, but it's been taken down and not available. If you really want a copy, then Mischa has the best suggestion: Camcorder

Or send me a PM. I have a copy.

Leonard.

I'm still mystified in that I WAS able to download this (and several other videos) from Pathe News some time back, and I'm pretty sure that the original message that alerted me to the fact that this video came from this forum. Does anybody know when the facility for downloading disappeared ... I've certainly got a copy ... but if not from the Pathe News website then from where?? :blink:

Does anyone know who was working at the Wheatstone Factory at the time this film was shot? I am curious to know who is featured in the film. Steve Dickinson used to work there, I believe, and that is how he ended up taking over the name, and continuing as a one-man-band, so to speak, upon its demise. The chap at the end, featured playing the Sailor's Hornpipe on an amboyna-ended treble, is obviously quite an accomplished player. Who was he?

Chris

I'm still mystified in that I WAS able to download this (and several other videos) from Pathe News some time back, and I'm pretty sure that the original message that alerted me to the fact that this video came from this forum. Does anybody know when the facility for downloading disappeared ... I've certainly got a copy ... but if not from the Pathe News website then from where?? :blink:

Hi Irene

Chances are it was from Pathe News. If not then possibly YouTube. Up until Nov/Dec 09 the UK was the only location that could watch it from Pathe. They did have the option to download it directly, but they required quite a lot of private information to do so.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7594&view=findpost&p=72528

From the US, we could only watch the YouTube version, but it has been removed.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4927&view=findpost&p=48023

Does anyone know who was working at the Wheatstone Factory at the time this film was shot? I am curious to know who is featured in the film. Steve Dickinson used to work there, I believe, and that is how he ended up taking over the name, and continuing as a one-man-band, so to speak, upon its demise. The chap at the end, featured playing the Sailor's Hornpipe on an amboyna-ended treble, is obviously quite an accomplished player. Who was he?

Chris

Hi Chris

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=451&view=findpost&p=4034

Thanks

Leo

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks

Leo

And here's a quote from another old thread: "Harry Minting - the last Boosy & Hawkes employee of the Wheatstone name - I'm given to understand that he died on a Friday night - and by Saturday morning all the Wheatstone equipment had been stripped out of the workshop and was standing in the yard outside! If Steve Dickinson hadn't turned up that Saturday morning the Wheatstone name may well have vanished!"

It's not my impression that Steve Dickinson worked at Wheatstone before he acquired their parts and equipment, but I could be mistaken.

And here's a quote from another old thread: "Harry Minting - the last Boosy & Hawkes employee of the Wheatstone name - I'm given to understand that he died on a Friday night - and by Saturday morning all the Wheatstone equipment had been stripped out of the workshop and was standing in the yard outside! If Steve Dickinson hadn't turned up that Saturday morning the Wheatstone name may well have vanished!"

It's not my impression that Steve Dickinson worked at Wheatstone before he acquired their parts and equipment, but I could be mistaken.

Interesting I heard a version of the same story where the guy who died (in December 1974) was named Sid Watkins. As I heard it, SW was the last worker at the B&H Wheatstone shop, and SD was apprenticing with him. One day, SD showed up to find the shop cleared out, SW having died over the weekend. SD offered to buy the hardware and patents, and now he's "Wheatstone Concertinas."

Hi Irene

Chances are it was from Pathe News. If not then possibly YouTube. Up until Nov/Dec 09 the UK was the only location that could watch it from Pathe. They did have the option to download it directly, but they required quite a lot of private information to do so.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7594&view=findpost&p=72528

From the US, we could only watch the YouTube version, but it has been removed.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4927&view=findpost&p=48023

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks

Leo

I wondered if it might be Harry Minting playing. He was the last managing director of Wheatstones and I understood that he was a duet player, rather than an EC player and despised folk music, so why the hornpipe?

Chris