newbie help req.

i have a concertina that belonged to my great grandad,it was not the tidiest out of the bunch but his favourite,hence my choice.

i would like some help to identify it, inside the cas it reads charles horsley at the top then it says harmonious music warehouse,sadlergate bridge derby.

any help as to its age and make would be helpfull ,many thanks in advance. stevebiggrin.gif post-8444-12653058863822_thumb.jpgpost-8444-12653059758296_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve.r

It's an English Concertina (which refers to the layout of the buttons, not it's origin). No doubt someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly to identify it.

You say "it was not the tidiest out of the bunch", does that mean you have other concertinas besides this one?

Yes Definitely an English. In case you didn't know, the rows of white buttons equate to the white notes on a piano, and the outer rows of black buttons to the black notes. The 2 red buttons should play "C" (you can check this against any modern keyboard..

Age...Looks pre 1930 ish (which would fit with your ancestors time approximately, not knowing how old you are !!)

Any other features like a serial number? Might help to pin down a maker and an era.

But, there are many more knowledgeable folks around here, who will stumble upon your question.

Do you play it? Hope so!!

Good luck anyway

Regards Ralphie

Yes Definitely an English. In case you didn't know, the rows of white buttons equate to the white notes on a piano, and the outer rows of black buttons to the black notes. The 2 red buttons should play "C" (you can check this against any modern keyboard..

Age...Looks pre 1930 ish (which would fit with your ancestors time approximately, not knowing how old you are !!)

Any other features like a serial number? Might help to pin down a maker and an era.

But, there are many more knowledgeable folks around here, who will stumble upon your question.

Do you play it? Hope so!!

Good luck anyway

Regards Ralphie

i am afraid i dont play,my fingers are too large,which is why i dont play guitar either.thanks for the help.

It's an English Concertina (which refers to the layout of the buttons, not it's origin). No doubt someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly to identify it.

You say "it was not the tidiest out of the bunch", does that mean you have other concertinas besides this one?

no my mum has one and my 2 cousins,also have 1. thanks for the help.

i have a concertina that belonged to my great grandad,it was not the tidiest out of the bunch but his favourite,hence my choice.

i would like some help to identify it, inside the cas it reads charles horsley at the top then it says harmonious music warehouse,friagate bridge derby.

any help as to its age and make would be helpfull ,many thanks in advance. stevebiggrin.gif post-8444-12653058863822_thumb.jpgpost-8444-12653059758296_thumb.jpg

Steve, I just happen to have before me a copy of an old Derby Trade Directory compiled by Stephen Glover in 1842. I would not expect to find a concertina maker or seller listed at such an early date but there is a Charles Horsley listed as a bookbinder at that time. If you can bind a book in leather you are probably on the road to making bellows ! Your instrument probably reads Friar Gate which was then spelled as two words.

i would like some help to identify it, inside the cas it reads charles horsley at the top then it says harmonious music warehouse,friagate bridge derby.

Steve, I just happen to have before me a copy of an old Derby Trade Directory compiled by Stephen Glover in 1842. I would not expect to find a concertina maker or seller listed at such an early date but there is a

Charles Horsley listed as a bookbinder at that time. If you can bind a book in leather you are probably on the road to making bellows ! Your instrument probably reads Friar Gate which was then spelled as two words.

I have not heard of a Charles Horsley in connection with concertina making before. It sounds like this Charles Horsley, of the Harmonious Music Wharehouse, was a dealer/repairer of some sort in Harmoniums and concertinas. Maybe he changed his trade later on from being a bookbinder. The model depicted, is quite a basic model, Mahogany-ended, probably Victorian, and worth maybe £500-600 restored. It would be interesting to know whether it has brass or steel reeds. Stephen Chambers is probably the person to ask.

Chris

Steve, I just happen to have before me a copy of an old Derby Trade Directory compiled by Stephen Glover in 1842. I would not expect to find a concertina maker or seller listed at such an early date but there is a Charles Horsley listed as a bookbinder at that time. If you can bind a book in leather you are probably on the road to making bellows ! Your instrument probably reads Friar Gate which was then spelled as two words.

i had a closer look at the lable iside the case and it reads sadlergate bridge derby.

Steve, I just happen to have before me a copy of an old Derby Trade Directory compiled by Stephen Glover in 1842. I would not expect to find a concertina maker or seller listed at such an early date but there is a

Charles Horsley listed as a bookbinder at that time. If you can bind a book in leather you are probably on the road to making bellows ! Your instrument probably reads Friar Gate which was then spelled as two words.

I have not heard of a Charles Horsley in connection with concertina making before. It sounds like this Charles Horsley, of the Harmonious Music Wharehouse, was a dealer/repairer of some sort in Harmoniums and concertinas. Maybe he changed his trade later on from being a bookbinder. The model depicted, is quite a basic model, Mahogany-ended, probably Victorian, and worth maybe £500-600 restored. It would be interesting to know whether it has brass or steel reeds. Stephen Chambers is probably the person to ask.

Chris

how would i find out weather it has brass or steel reeds,the finger cups are brass. here is a close up of it.post-8444-12653821382107_thumb.jpg

Hi

If you're feeling brave then undo the 5 screws around the edge CAREFULLY they are old and may shear Make sure that you put them back in the same position they will likely be hand made. This should allow you to lift the 'action' box (the end complete) from the bellows this should expose the reed pan. hopefully I've attached a picture of a Rock Chidley Concertina + a Rock Chidley reed pan (steel reeds)

have fun and take care:D

chris

post-1594-1265383469139_thumb.jpg

post-1594-12653834507606_thumb.jpg

Edited by chris

Hi

If you're feeling brave then undo the 5 screws around the edge CAREFULLY they are old and may shear Make sure that you put them back in the same position they will likely be hand made. This should allow you to lift the 'action' box (the end complete) from the bellows this should expose the reed pan. hopefully I've attached a picture of a Rock Chidley Concertina + a Rock Chidley reed pan (steel reeds)

chris

i have done as you suggested and photographed,in between the felt splitter there is a r stamped it also has a number in the left hand side. 4636.

post-8444-12654017908692_thumb.jpg

post-8444-12654018328715_thumb.jpg

post-8444-12654018947553_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve.r

Hi

chris

i have done as you suggested and photographed,in between the felt splitter there is a r stamped it also has a number in the left hand side. 4636.

been lokkin on a site called concertina.com at serial numbers,and according to the site my number comes as the pic ive enclosed and was made by a person called rudell.

post-8444-12654042364369_thumb.jpg

been lokkin on a site called concertina.com at serial numbers,and according to the site my number comes as the pic ive enclosed and was made by a person called rudell.

that site is listing the serial numbers of Wheatstone concertinas - I don't believe it has been suggested that yours is a Wheatstone.

Hi

Steel reeds then.

There are not many makers whose serial numbers go into the 4000. -Wheatstone, Lachenal, Chidley, Jones, Nickolds, Case and poss Crabb.

My best guess is still Chidley. Unfortunately only Wheatstone ledgers are available:( no other companies records have been found (holy grail for concertina researchers). The next stage would be to look at the action type. This is a bit trickier and I wouldn't reccomend trying it without access to Dave Elliotts Repair Manual.

It depends on what you propose to do with the concertina as to how far you go.

that site is listing the serial numbers of Wheatstone concertinas - I don't believe it has been suggested that yours is a Wheatstone.

no but i have read that chidley made concertinas for wheatstone and they too had serial numbers,i read also that chidley was some relative of wheatstone.

Chris

how would i find out weather it has brass or steel reeds,the finger cups are brass. here is a close up of it.post-8444-12653821382107_thumb.jpg

Charles Horsley. I have taken another glance at my copy of the 1842 Derby Trade Directory (compiled by Stephen Glover). It lists four more individuals with the surname Horsley. NATHANIEL, gentleman,17 Queen Street. JOHN, (no description) Beeston, Notts. JOHN, basket maker, Grove Street. WILLIAM, bookseller, stationer & printer, Sadler Gate. Charles, the bookbinder, previously referred to, is listed as living in York Street. I guess all the addresses refer to their home addresses although some may well have been operating their businesses from home or living over the shop ? They may also of course have been related.