30 button red English concertina (pics)

SeanLee

Dear Sean,

Welcome to concertina.net. This is in fact an ANGLO concertina......this type are generally more expensive than the ENGLISH type so you may wish to re-post?

Regards,

Neil

On the receipt, it states "English Concertina" - maybe he made a mistake! How can I be sure?

Thanks,

-Sean

Dear Sean,

Welcome to concertina.net. This is in fact an ANGLO concertina......this type are generally more expensive than the ENGLISH type so you may wish to re-post?

Regards,

Neil

On the receipt, it states "English Concertina" - maybe he made a mistake! How can I be sure?

Thanks,

-Sean

An ANGLO concertina has buttons in rows. Typically 2 or 3 per side, with generally 5 buttons per row. They also have a wide palm rest with a strap the width of that rest.

ENGLISH concertinas have buttons in 4 columns per side, and only a short thumb strap and metal finger rest on each side.

Finally, when you press a button and open the bellows, then push the bellows together, while holding the same button, if you get the same tone it's ENGLISH. If different, it's ANGLO.

There are other complecations in identification, but in your case, the pics are an ANGLO.

Cheers,

Jim

Dear Sean,

Regards,

Neil

Thanks,

-Sean

An ANGLO concertina has buttons in rows. Typically 2 or 3 per side, with generally 5 buttons per row. They also have a wide palm rest with a strap the width of that rest.

ENGLISH concertinas have buttons in 4 columns per side, and only a short thumb strap and metal finger rest on each side.

Finally, when you press a button and open the bellows, then push the bellows together, while holding the same button, if you get the same tone it's ENGLISH. If different, it's ANGLO.

There are other complecations in identification, but in your case, the pics are an ANGLO.

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks very much for the description. This is definitely an ANGLO concertina :)

-Sean

Take it back to where you bought it. Tell them they misrepresented it to you. That it is an ANGLO and not an ENGLISH concertina.

Maybe they'll take pity and refund your money. I doubt it, but as she said, "You never know...."

• 3 years later...

Not an interesting story...divorce squabbling...he claims it to be a vintage anglo Jeffries he cannot find and wants payment of $4500 to which the judge said ok...I know nothing of concertinas and am curious to know if it is a Jeffries...kind of a Stradavari of concertinas I am told. Thanks for the replies so far.

Not an interesting story...divorce squabbling...he claims it to be a vintage anglo Jeffries he cannot find and wants payment of $4500 to which the judge said ok...I know nothing of concertinas and am curious to know if it is a Jeffries...kind of a Stradavari of concertinas I am told. Thanks for the replies so far.

If the instrument in the photo is the one "to be replaced", it's not (as others have already said) either Jeffries or vintage, and it's worth a few hundred dollars, at the most.

Somebody is lying, and the judge should probably be made aware of that fact.

If you need a formal, expert opinion, I would suggest you contact The Button Box in Sunderland, Mass.