Gardener's Delight - New Tune By Chris Drinkwater

Chris Drinkwater

Here's my attempt at it: recording and score. I've added some simple bass notes. Have a feeling I played the middle section wrong, though..

Great tune, Chris. Especially the rhytmic shift of the B part's phrase in the first bars of the C part.

GardnersDelight.mp3

I proudly succeeded in rendering that exciting rhythmic shift. And then I see that Chris edited his original post:

X: 1

T:Gardener's Delight

R:Jig

C:Chris Drinkwater

S: Copyright Chris Drinkwater 2010

M:6/8

L:1/8

Q:250

K:G

"G"G2B"D7"A2c|"G"Bdg "C"ece|"G"dBd "D7"cAF|"G"GAB "D7"A2d|

"G"G2B"D7"A2c|"G"Bdg "C"ece|"G"dBd "D7"cAF|cAF "G"G3:|

|:"G"dBd dBd|"D7"cAc cAc|"G"BGB BGB|"D"AFE D2e|1

"G"dBd dBd|"D7"cAc cAc|"G"BGB BGB|"D7"A6:|2

"G"G2B"D7"A2c|"G"Bdg "C"ece|"G"dBd "D7"cAF|cAF "G"G3|]

Edited to correct a mistake in the B part and add chords to it.

Rhythmic shift? No, just a mistake .... huh.gif blink.gif wacko.gif

Oh dear, Leonard. What can I say? sad.gif I unintentially edited out the rhythmic shift that so delighted you. Mea culpa. To be honest, I thought the rhythmic shift in the second part, might confuse people, especially those players who tap a foot along to their playing to keep the beat. Perhaps I should have posted a mk2 version and left the original. unsure.gif

Chris

Rhythmic shift? No, just a mistake .... huh.gif blink.gif wacko.gif

Oh dear, Leonard. What can I say? sad.gif I unintentially edited out the rhythmic shift that so delighted you. Mea culpa. To be honest, I thought the rhythmic shift in the second part, might confuse people, especially those players who tap a foot along to their playing to keep the beat. Perhaps I should have posted a mk2 version and left the original. unsure.gif

The rhythmic shift is a bit tricky but that's not necessarily a reason to change it. The question is which do you, Chris, prefer? Your tune, your choice (at least initially, people will do with it what they will).

The question is which do you, Chris, prefer? Your tune, your choice.

My tune, my choice, of course. Well, to be honest, folks, I prefer the tune the way I originally wrote it - that's why I wrote it that way.

I do agree with that.

And I am curious what it sounds like on an anglo. Volunteers?

I would be curious too? Alan D, where are you? I went to see John Kirkpatrick performing in London last saturday evening and I gave him a copy of the tune to see what he could make of it. He said he'd let me know next time I see him, which could be next year! Unfortunately, I don't think he's a C.net poster. :( I am sure he'd make a jolly good job of it and really bring it to life.

Chris

My tune, my choice, of course. Well, to be honest, folks, I prefer the tune the way I originally wrote it - that's why I wrote it that way.

That is confusingly ambiguous. Which way did you originally write it? The edit on the first post implies that the current one is the "original" one and the other was a mistake, now corrected. Or perhaps you mean the way you originally posted it rather than the current posting?

It sounds pretty good to me and the bass notes add a bit more colour. smile.gif Your link to the score didn't work for me, though. Don't know why. sad.gif

Chris

I'm glad you liked the bass notes :) Fraid I don't know what the problem might be the link to the score - it works for me. What error message do you get?

Well regardless, I'll attach it to this post as well and see if that works better.

gardenersdelight.pdf

The question is which do you, Chris, prefer? Your tune, your choice.

I do agree with that.

And I am curious what it sounds like on an anglo. Volunteers?

I would be curious too? Alan D, where are you? I went to see John Kirkpatrick performing in London last saturday evening and I gave him a copy of the tune to see what he could make of it. He said he'd let me know next time I see him, which could be next year! Unfortunately, I don't think he's a C.net poster. :( I am sure he'd make a jolly good job of it and really bring it to life.

Chris

Well I've sent Chris my 'Les Dawson-esque' Version. lol!

Might take a little more practice before I'll post it here.

I'm glad you liked the bass notes :) Fraid I don't know what the problem might be the link to the score - it works for me. What error message do you get?

Well regardless, I'll attach it to this post as well and see if that works better.

gardenersdelight.pdf

Hi tzirtzi, the direct link to the PDF of the score worked fine. I didn't get an error message when I clicked on your other link; no matter how much I clicked on your word score, nothing happened, no new window appeared, whereas your link to the tune itself works perfectly everytime.

Your score of the 'original' original version of the tune is fine, except for replicating my error in putting in an open repeat following the first 8 bars repeat, not necessary, as the remaining 16 bars are complete in themselves and do not need repeating. I shall have go at playing your arrangement. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Chris

• 11 months later...

Hi Chris

Looks like Tune of the month!:)

Hi Mike - yes, it's looking that way! :) I am dead chuffed! :) :)

Chris

Does that mean we don't have to BOX your ears (eight times with your edeophone)to put it up over on Melnet! - I am sure Clive-HE-who-has-the-power-to-decide would be able to do up a variety of melodeon versions and put it in the February TOTM voting list on T'OTher side :) :)

Actually - didn;t he kick you under the table at George t;other week when there was standing room only? Then he owes you one!

I find back in March 2010 another fan suggested it :

LDT

Can I suggest Gardener's Delight for TOTM

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_detail.html?rec_id=1388

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,3033.msg41939.html#msg41939

Are your Able and Willing to cross-fertilise Chris? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Kautilya

Are your Able and Willing to cross-fertilise Chris?

Yes, of course but Melnet's TOTM is selected from several suggestions and then put to the vote and the tune with the most votes is the one selected. Why should my tune: a. be chosen, and b. win? :unsure:

Chris

Koz you have many friends in low places! Have you not heard the tune:

Jigging the vote!