baritone english

scoopet

Yes, a baritone Edeophone, complete with a nice leather case, eh, Simon? You could always do a swop with one of your prized vintage surfboards! :rolleyes: BTW, have you ever tried surfing and playing the concertina at the same time? :unsure: You can always put the concertina in a transparent plastic bag to stop it getting wet. <_<

Chris

you've got a deal chris....your wheatstone baritone for one of my vintage surfboards? :unsure:

What do you fancy a 9'6'' bilbo or maybe a 7'0 creamed honey single fin pintail from '76.

You won't need a leash just take your one off your edeophone :P :)

And look where procrastination led John - a lovely, mellow toned, Wheatstone baritone.

Yes - it is playing nicely now, and I also have a tenor, which I thought might replace a treble, but I still have the set.

Do you have your intended tenor/treble yet?

See you at Kilve, John

regards

John

you've got a deal chris....your wheatstone baritone for one of my vintage surfboards? :unsure:

What do you fancy a 9'6'' bilbo or maybe a 7'0 creamed honey single fin pintail from '76.

You won't need a leash just take your one off your edeophone :P :)

Deal? Or no deal? It's a nice thought, Simon, but I am too attached to my Wheatstone Baritone at present and I can't surf anyway. So, no deal, sorry! :rolleyes:

Chris

hi robin,

I'm not sure if i want steel or brass reeds...what do you think?I shall be playing it mainly at home I guess.I've got your old metal ended machine gun if I want to make some serious noise in public!!!

Chris ..next time you're down in devon I'll give a surfing lesson if you want one! you're never too old :unsure:

hi robin,

I'm not sure if i want steel or brass reeds...what do you think?I shall be playing it mainly at home I guess.I've got your old metal ended machine gun if I want to make some serious noise in public!!!

Depends what you want to play on it, Simon. Quieter brass reeds are best for song accompaniment, louder steel reeds, to accompany other musicians. If you just want to play it mainly at home, then brass reeds are fine.

Chris ..next time you're down in devon I'll give a surfing lesson if you want one! you're never too old :unsure:

A kind offer, indeed, Simon. Better go out and buy some waterwings now, or a life jacket, even. :ph34r:

Chris

Simon, I ask about brass versus steel because I've only ever heard one brass reeded instrument I like as much as steel reeded ones. I'm sure it's subjective but the tone usually sounds very thin to me and, yes, I haven't heard 100's of them, just dozens. I'm sure 50% or more of this group will disagree with this, but there it is.

Steel reeded instruments can be be seriously loud ( you have one!) but also quiet enough for singing. I also believe that playing your concertina for song accompaniment requires a modification of your tecnique from usual session / tune playing.

I'm so glad you like your model 22......they are little gems, aren't they .

regards

Robin

I'm rather fond of the tone of my nickel silver reeded baritone (purchased a few years ago through the good offices of a forum member and then restored by Wim Wakker). I also find myself playing its slightly younger brass reeded treble sibling a lot when I'm figuring our tunes in my study. When I play unamplified in a session or for a dance I use a metal ended steel reeded instrument which is much louder. Different situations bring out the strengths of different instruments. They also give an excuse for concertina acquisition syndrome. :rolleyes:

Simon, I ask about brass versus steel because I've only ever heard one brass reeded instrument I like as much as steel reeded ones. I'm sure it's subjective but the tone usually sounds very thin to me ...

Brass reeds get a bad reputation because there are many Lachenals English concertinas in circulation, especially those produced in the last 20 years or so of Lachenal production, that have very poor quality brass reeds. I've seen a handful of brass reeded instruments that were a joy to play, though admittedly not as loud as a good steel reeded one at maximum volume. One of these that I worked on a little was a Lachenal Baritone which was responsive, good dynamic range and ha a wonderful mellow quality. I have a friend, a singer with a very big voice, who uses an Aeola to accompany himself, and to play in sessions. A few years ago he asked me to tune it, and I got a big surprise when I opened it to discover brass reeds.

So brass reeded instruments can be very good, but good brass reeds are not common. (oh and steel reeds can be poor quality)

So brass reeded instruments can be very good, but good brass reeds are not common. (oh and steel reeds can be poor quality)

Perfectly put, Theo............I was feeling cantakerous last night ( and why not !) and wasn't feeling expansive. :(

To illustrate your point, I have a friend here in Ontario that has an ex-Salvation Army Æola (Tenor treble size but not quite a tenor treble) that has brass reeds that are as good as any steel reeds I've heard. I would not believe they were steel until Paul Read here tuned them. A fantastic instrument.

Conversely last year I played an Æola T/T with steel reeds that had just been tuned and sold by a prominent company in America that was nothing short of feeble.

Robin

I'd like to buy a vintage wooden ended baritone english.probably brass reeds,but not definitely.Any help or leads appreciated.(this WILL be my last concertina!)

kind regards,

simon

Sorry to join the thread so late, but I finished the restoration of a baritone ebony-ended Edeophone for Chris Algar a few weeks back - he may still have it.

Regards, David