Playing in D on G/D concertina

This is a question for all you who play what Jody Kruskal calls a harmonic style on a G/D instrument. When playing in the key of D, do you use the D row similar to how someone might use the G row on a C/G instrument? Or do you cross rows so you can play in a lower register in G? I know it's possible to play in G on a C/G instrument using a cross row technique. If you use the same cross row technique in G/D as C/G, are you playing in D? The reason I ask is because I am considering a G/D instrument. However, when playing a harmonic styler on a C/G instrument, I find the key of G too high in the G row, so I usually look for a way to play G in a lower register by cross rowing. I just wondered if the same would apply to a G/D instrument.

• Like 1

I think of the G/D anglo as an 'contralto' instrument. Because the overall pitch is a fourth lower, the resultant sound is rich and mellow compared with the C/G's bright, tending towards squeaky, sound at its upper end.

I really enjoy playing in D on my G/D anglo. I tend to play in the harmonic style, with the melody mostly on the RH, and chords/accompaniment on the LH. So rather than playing a melody 'up-and-down' the D-row, switching ends for the lower melody notes, I mostly use the RH side D-row and G-row together for the melody, cross-rowing as necessary.

I tend to play in the harmonic style, with the melody mostly on the RH, and chords/accompaniment on the LH. So rather than playing a melody 'up-and-down' the D-row, switching ends for the lower melody notes, I mostly use the RH side D-row and G-row together for the melody, cross-rowing as necessary.

Same here

and me too - I think G in this style on a C/G is a bit too squeaky, whereas D on a G/D is quite pleasant - the same as you'd hear the average english concertina playing in D. Bm is a dream as well, I need to learn more Bm tunes!!!

Edited by gavdav

I mainly play cross row melodic style in G, D etc for Irish music on a C/G.

If I play in D on a G/D I cross the rows rather than stick to the D row. I am adapting that for harmonic style too as i don't feel comfortable going up and down the D row . I am , however, quite happy to play harmonically on the G row of the G/D just as I do in C on the C/G.

Edited by michael sam wild

I cross the rows in G on my G/D all the time on the right hand and play in an English style, and cross sometimes in D but only because I have extra buttons. I really must get out more and steal some ideas from other players!!!

I do both. Usually I'll play up and down the D row (but also using the G row where appropriate). This can get a bit squeaky on a C/G but is nice on a G/D. However sometimes I'll drop down to the lower octave and use the pull D chord, although sometimes parts of the melody drop onto the left hand (I also do this when playing in G on a C/G).

In both cases I'll play across all the rows

I've no hard and fast rules for when I do this - it depends on the tune and what other instruments I'm playing alongside. However if I'm playing solo I'll probably play in the higher octave since I find this leaves me more options for LH chords and accompaniment.

I do both. Usually I'll play up and down the D row (but also using the G row where appropriate). This can get a bit squeaky on a C/G but is nice on a G/D. However sometimes I'll drop down to the lower octave and use the pull D chord, although sometimes parts of the melody drop onto the left hand (I also do this when playing in G on a C/G).

In both cases I'll play across all the rows

I've no hard and fast rules for when I do this - it depends on the tune and what other instruments I'm playing alongside. However if I'm playing solo I'll probably play in the higher octave since I find this leaves me more options for LH chords and accompaniment.

I agree about what you describe. What I think I'm doing is favoring along the row melody playing when convenient. When that feels or sounds clumsy or doesn't allow the left hand chords I want then I switch rows or find alternate fingerings. I also play with the melody going down into the left hand sometimes, though I don't want it down there for long. If the melody goes into the left hand too much I consider shifting octaves as you suggest.

Switching octaves in the melody is a very handy trick on both G/D and C/G. Playing the melody (or rather parts of it) either an octave up or down allows the concertinist to take advantage of the best sounding range of the instrument. Too squeeky up there in the B section? Play it down an octave. What if the end of that B section then goes too low for comfort? Find a good spot to switch back up.

Sometimes the octave switching that I use might only be for a few notes that are just too high or low. I always try to find good spots to switch where it makes sense with the phrases of the music.

Yes, this means changing the tune. I say... feel free. When banjos and fiddles play the same tune they don't play the exact same notes but rather work with the strengths and limitations of their instruments. Concertina players should do the same and if this means altering details of the melody to make the whole sound better, I say go for it.

Thanks for all the help. Gives me more confidence in getting a G/D instrument for harmonic style playing.

I have found that G/D anglo is really the best single instrument for harmonic playing in the keys that most tunes are played in these days. I do play other keys as well and a few tunes work better on a C/G, Bb/F or A/E instrument but these are the exceptions, not the rule. If I had to pick one then G/D would be it, hands down.

...G/D would be it, hands down.

Surely it'll be a lot more difficult to play with your hands down? Holding the concertina would surely be the more effective approach. Are you sure you really thought thought this bit of advice????? Or are you in possession of super-human abilities? (I've heard your playing so I'm willing to believe you if you say it's true) :P ;)

Surely it'll be a lot more difficult to play with your hands down? Holding the concertina would surely be the more effective approach. Are you sure you really thought thought this bit of advice????? Or are you in possession of super-human abilities? (I've heard your playing so I'm willing to believe you if you say it's true) :P ;)

It'd be even worse if you were bearing the expression's origin in mind: you'd need to be on a racehorse, in a race, winning by such a margin that you could relax your hands on the reins. :D

jdms

...you'd need to be on a racehorse, in a race, winning by such a margin that you could relax your hands on the reins. :D

Then I think it's fair to say Jody's well wide of the mark. I'm rubbish on a horse & if I did that I'm sure I'd break my G/D and probably a few other things as well :ph34r:

Hands up or down, you can be sure that there will be an Anglo between 'em.

Hands up or down, you can be sure that there will be an Anglo between 'em.

OK. I'm really confused now!

Tell me again. Where do you put the horse????? :blink: :unsure: :blink:

Edited by Woody