Sour notes on a Lachenal MacCann Duet

So, after my Jones Anglo pops a spring, I pick up my Lachenal MacCann Duet for the first time in over a year. Using a pair of nylon dog collars, I attach a strap, the same one I was using on the Jones Anglo. It is attached so each dog collar is around each of the ends. I play some scales, then I put it down for the night.

The next night I pick it up and notice that the low F on the left side wheezes on the push direction. I remove the straps and dog collars, open up the left side take a look, and there does not seem to be anything wrong. I pup it back together, and the same thing. Then I notice that by loosening some of the outer screws on the edges that are opposite from where the note is, I can reduce the problem noise, but it still does not sound good. Some of the other notes have a slight sound on the push. It sounds almost acceptable when playing the notes separately, but when playing chords with the funny notes, it does not sound so well.

So, my guess is that the button board got a little warped or bent when I had the dog collar around the ends, and that the slight deformity is causing some air leakage. Would that be correct? Is there an easy way to fix this, or should I send it to a professional?

You did take the reed out and check there wasn't anything caught in it, then make sure it was seated properly in it's slot I presume? And have a look at the valve on the other reed? I'm sure you did but you don't actually say that's what you did!

I doubt the dog collars caused it, either way, unless you did them up using levers...

• Like 1

You did take the reed out and check there wasn't anything caught in it, then make sure it was seated properly in it's slot I presume? And have a look at the valve on the other reed? I'm sure you did but you don't actually say that's what you did!

I doubt the dog collars caused it, either way, unless you did them up using levers...

Okay, I opened it up again and actually took took out each of the reads that seemed to have the issue. Nothing is cuaght in any of them. Earlie when I opened it up, I took a piece of thin cardstock and lightly flicked each of the trouble reads to see if anything was causge, but this time I took them out. I put them back in making sure each is seated properly. When I put the instrument back together, it is the same things.

I can make the wheezing stop if I loosen the end bolts or end screws on the sides that are furthest away from the wheezing read, but I still hear multiple reeds sounding on the push direction. It's like I hear the note I am supposed to hear, plus, faintly the reads of one of the neighboring notes. For example if I play the B, I hear an F# in the background. It is as if air is leaking between sections of the reedpan. It is not so much a wheezing as something buzzing or rattling.

When I put the reedpan back into the frame, it looks as if there is a paper thin gap frame and the readpan edge, on the side with the sour notes.

I just now tried putting a thin piece of linen in there, but it did not work. I'm puting it down for now, but tomorrow I'll try think pieces of cloth.

Edited by AlexCJones