Allan Atlas Lecture/Demonstration

Found this news by accident while looking for something else:

"Professor Allan Atlas will present a Lecture/Demonstration on Nineteenth-Century English Concertina on Friday, January 29, 2010, at 3:00 p.m. in Casadesus Recital Hall, Fine Arts Building at Binghamton University. This event is sponsored by the Binghamton University Music Department."

"Professor Allan Atlas will present a Lecture/Demonstration on Nineteenth-Century English Concertina on Friday, January 29, 2010, at 3:00 p.m. in Casadesus Recital Hall, Fine Arts Building at Binghamton University. This event is sponsored by the Binghamton University Music Department."

Is this lecture being filmed and/or broadcast, I wonder.

Is this lecture being filmed and/or broadcast, I wonder.

'English concertina, an accordion-like free reed instrument that, although widely played in Victorian England, is seldom heard today'. (from the publicity write up):angry::angry::angry::angry:

It would be good if it were recorded, and made available.

Hope it goes well Allan.

chris

'English concertina, an accordion-like free reed instrument that, although widely played in Victorian England, is seldom heard today'. (from the publicity write up):angry::angry::angry::angry:

Why angry? Seems like a perfectly reasonable and accurate statement to me. Most non-concertina players will probably encounter a concertina, directly or indirectly, maybe once a year, and even then will probably not register it at a conscious level.

It is true that most people simply never come across a concertina! When I played in pubs people were always coming up to me asking what it was (if they asked 'what do you call that?' I would just say 'Fred'). The other musicians loved it because the punters left them alone, after all they knew what a fiddle or flute was.

Chris

'English concertina, an accordion-like free reed instrument that, although widely played in Victorian England, is seldom heard today'. (from the publicity write up)mad.gif:angry:mad.gif:angry:

Why angry? Seems like a perfectly reasonable and accurate statement to me. Most non-concertina players will probably encounter a concertina, directly or indirectly, maybe once a year, and even then will probably not register it at a conscious level.

In my whole life, I'd never seen a concertina anywhere but Disney cartoons. Until I decided to buy one this last summer. Then I had to travel 280 miles to find it. To call concertinas rare is fair. Sad, but fair. If we could just replace all the worlds' autoharps with concertinas....