Uilleann pipes implemented as an English Concertina

I've gone right around the bend...

http://www.tradlessons.com/Uillitina.html

An impressive app which should save a few years learning.

I once heard a piper claim that it takes 21 years to learn the Uillean pipes; for the first 7 you just sit and listen, then you get to use the chanter for the next 7, and finally you get to practice on the whole set!

Now all I need is an iphone!!

Care to post some audio or video of this Frankenstein instrument?

There is a video on the website I posted, here's the direct link to YouTube:

This was with an early version of the app with my first recordings from my chanter, I did a lot of tweaking of tuning and levels on the final sample set. I'll be posting a video of a slow aire in the coming days. What's fascinating is that since the app is polyphonic, you can create the equivalent of a tenor regulator just by playing additional notes along with the melody, works particularly well for aires.

Cheers,

Michael

I've gone right around the bend...

http://www.tradlesso.../Uillitina.html

An impressive app which should save a few years learning.

I once heard a piper claim that it takes 21 years to learn the Uillean pipes; for the first 7 you just sit and listen, then you get to use the chanter for the next 7, and finally you get to practice on the whole set!

Now all I need is an iphone!!

what? Like phone Paddy Keenan and ask him to play!smile.gif

Figured out a cool trick today with the app based on something my friend John O'Hara did during the filming of the demo video for Englitina.

If you play with the device (this only works I think for the iPhone models since it has a speaker on the right side) placed on your stomach and supported by your belt on the far side, it frees up the fingers to just play the buttons without having to hold it. It also makes it easy to get tremolo effects, particularly for the second octave D (back-D on the pipes) by cupping your hand over the right side and modulating the sound like a harmonica player would. Also it seems using your body as a reflector creates a fuller sound than holding it suspended in front of you. This would work for all the English concertina based apps. The tremolo is very effective in playing airs, I'll have to demonstrate that on the next video.

I'm also finding the virtual regulator possibilities to be fantastic, I use the right side low F# and A on the D chords, the left side low G or right side bottom D for G chords. Its like having a tenor regulator along with the drones and chanter.

Hi y'all,

I finally figured out how to do sample release volume ramp shaping to provide an option to help improve the sound using headphones and reduce/eliminate any sample release clicks.

On all the apps, in the next update, there is a new slider on the settings page labeled "Release". By default it will be set to be the same as the apps are today, with no click reduction, you can reduce the value to slow down the release to where the clicks go away, that value gets saved when the app exits. Seems to work pretty well. I happen to like the sound of the sample release clicks when using the speaker on my iPhone, but its nice to now have an option to clean things up when using headphones.

Tonight I checked in the changes to all the English Concertina based apps:

Englitina 1.2

Binglitina 1.1

Uillitina 1.1

UillitinaB 1.1

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by eskin

New Version 1.1 update features for both Uillitina and UillitinaB:

New main screen display shows the natural notes as silver buttons, and the sharps and flats as red.

New "Drone Effects" slider on the settings page adds a adjustable stereo chorus effect to the drone sound, particularly effective when used with headphone or amplified.

New "Release Speed" slider on the settings page adjusts the chanter notes release timing. Helps reduce any possible clicks that may occur at the end of the notes. Set to the maximum value, the sound is identical to the previous version.

New optimized audio engine for much faster and more responsive playing.

Also fixed the "slide in from the offscreen makes no sound, but sliding in on the right side offscreen makes sound" issue with the keys on the left edge. This was described previously as "difficulty with sometimes playing the low E". All fixed. Also backported the edge fix to Englitina and Binglitina, will be a free update to all the apps.

All the updates are now available on the iTunes App Store. (8 Feb 2010)

Edited by eskin

• 3 weeks later...

UillitinaC, based on a completely new set of samples from an absolute phenomenal set of Uilleann pipes in C that I used to own has been submitted to Apple for approval. It has a fundamentally different sound from the Uillitina and UillitinaB apps, its really my favorite so far:

http://www.tradlessons.com/Uillitina.html

For those who might prefer a standard keyboard layout, I've also submitted PipeKeysC using the same new sample set. The PipeKeys family of apps supports pitch bending and finger vibrato:

http://www.tradlessons.com/PipeKeys.html

I'll work to get a demo video of the new apps with the new sample set in the coming days.

Chanter and drone audio samples for UillitinaC graciously provided by Uilleann piper, reed maker, anglo concertina player, and professor of music, K. Pádraig O'Kane, the current owner of the set.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by eskin