Martin O'Brien CD

I couldn't find Martin's CD, An Crann Carraige (Concertina melodies from Tuamgraney, East Clare) on Custy's site. Thanks to an enquiry on conc net and a PM from Geraghty I emailed Martin and he replied promptly and I got the CD yesterday. It's a really nice selection of tunes in 'normal' keys and played in a laid back style with great feeling. 12 tracks.

PM me for details and contact.

Thanks again Geraghtysmile.gif

• Downvote 1

This CD has gotten heavy rotation on my player since about a month after it came out.....I love the tune choices, the unadorned, ornamentally plain style, and the wistfulness that permeates it. I suspect the "gatekeepers" would not rate this fellow's playing as highly as some of the post-noel-hill tyros, but....i have the recordings by all the tyros because i'm a concertina maniac, and I play this CD more often than any of them....

Edited by ceemonster

I'm a bit like that with favourite records. Some, which my friends don't rate too much, I love. I wonder if it's because you feel you can emulate them whereas players like the real 'top lads and lasses' put you in awe .

I do listen to great players but like my music more leisurely and less frenetic,

I remember when Jackie Daly's Topic LP came out some of my pals were a bit scathing about his accordion/melodeon style playing as 'a bit too press and draw' as compared to the fashionable B/C 'Sligo'style . How things change! Sliabh Luchra styl is now quite well accepted.

I think his concertina playing was also compared unfavourably with the Noel Hill and Tony Linnane record which was one of our few concertina beacons at the time . i was sorry JD didn't do more on Anglo.

I'm a bit like that with favourite records. Some, which my friends don't rate too much, I love. I wonder if it's because you feel you can emulate them whereas players like the real 'top lads and lasses' put you in awe .

I do listen to great players but like my music more leisurely and less frenetic,

I remember when Jackie Daly's Topic LP came out some of my pals were a bit scathing about his accordion/melodeon style playing as 'a bit too press and draw' as compared to the fashionable B/C 'Sligo'style . How things change! Sliabh Luchra styl is now quite well accepted.

I think his concertina playing was also compared unfavourably with the Noel Hill and Tony Linnane record which was one of our few concertina beacons at the time . i was sorry JD didn't do more on Anglo.

I quite agree!

Well, I'd certainly be happy to accept a slab of lucre.

Oh, wait, you meant something else, didn't you?

:D

jdms