Keepers of Tradition

Lawrence Reeves

I just received my copy of Keepers of Tradition, and look forward to listening this evening. I am very pleased to see the works of a few less known players included. Martin Fahy is the father of Florence Fahy ( Southeast Tionól tutor this year), and of course Bridget Dinan. She has been mentioned by a few in the know players of all instruments I have met over the years. I would like to see more from these archives of field recordings in the future.

Ok, for those of us who don't know...what exactly IS this wonderful thing?

Keepers of Tradition

Concertina Players of Co. Clare

"December 2009 release of a collection of 35 concertina players of an older generation of Co. Clare. Special mention must go to archivists Joe O' Connor and Frank Whelan of Cois ns hAbhna in Ennis for making this compendium available to the public. All these tracks are from field recordings captured in the kitchens and parlours of the featured musicians and the authenticity of the music is spellbinding."

I agree with Daniel, kudos to the people responsible for the compilation. After I finish my repeated listening on Wednesday I will probable chime in with some details on a few that really stand out for me. I love the fact that there is "row playing" on this disc showing the continued popularity in the older styles. There were a few tracks on what appear to be German or very basic older concertinas. I heard a technique being used that was demonstrated during our tionól last year by Paul Groff. It is a method of holding a drone finger ( not note) down while playing the melody. The fourth finger resting on the lowest button of the C row, on the press a Low C, on the draw the G. Playing a C tune, or a d tune on the C row in this fashion gives a bass like a melodeon. The playing throughout is a very enjoyable time capsule of Clare concertina styles, and there is a very high standard of playing from some names that are new to me.

I was actually quoting the description on Custys web site -- I haven't heard the CD yet myself. But after reading Lawrence's report, I think I'll order it!

I agree with Daniel, kudos to the people responsible for the compilation. After I finish my repeated listening on Wednesday I will probable chime in with some details on a few that really stand out for me. I love the fact that there is "row playing" on this disc showing the continued popularity in the older styles. There were a few tracks on what appear to be German or very basic older concertinas. I heard a technique being used that was demonstrated during our tionól last year by Paul Groff. It is a method of holding a drone finger ( not note) down while playing the melody. The fourth finger resting on the lowest button of the C row, on the press a Low C, on the draw the G. Playing a C tune, or a d tune on the C row in this fashion gives a bass like a melodeon. The playing throughout is a very enjoyable time capsule of Clare concertina styles, and there is a very high standard of playing from some names that are new to me.

I really enjoyed the CD.. I've heard some of the tracks on other CDs but the archival material is great and credit to those who recorded and catalogued the material.

My only quibble is a lack of sleeve notes on such a seminal record. It could have been so informative and deserves an accompanying booklet or a web site.

Or is there one I don't know about?

I would have liked to see a booklet also, something in the style of the Paddy Murphy "In Good Hands" liner. My assumption that it was more a cost thing than any other reason not to see one, is based on the following. Time to compile the information form family,friends, and folklife archives. The cost of printing. The perceived value from any outside th concertina-geek-trad head crowd. I also wonder if this was done as a short run cd with a high cost per disc and printing associated with it. In the big picture, a cd release like this will sell a much smaller amount of cds than a label released production. In all, I believe that Comhaltas has done a fantastic job in getting this information out to the public, and I look forward to any similar releases from the staff of Cois na hAbhna in Ennis

Hi Concertina folks.

Thanks for the kind comments about the Cois na hAbhna Archive cd "Keepers of Tradition". I gave serious thought to including informative sleeve notes on each of the 28 performers but being on a shoe string budget I felt it more important at this time to make these field recordings available under limited release than keep such gems hidden away.

Available from Cois na hAbhna , Ennis , Co Clare 353 65 6824276 (reachtairecce@eircom.net) or Custy's Music shop Ennis . www.custymusic.com

Edited by reachtaire

Hi Concertina folks.

Thanks for the kind comments about the Cois na hAbhna Archive cd "Keepers of Tradition". I gave serious thought to including informative sleeve notes on each of the 28 performers but being on a shoe string budget I felt it more important at this time to make these field recordings available under limited release than keep such gems hidden away.

Available from Cois na hAbhna , Ennis , Co Clare 353 65 6824276 (reachtairecce@eircom.net) or Custy's Music shop Ennis . www.custymusic.com

Thanks for the explanation. And welcomesmile.gif here , we are a friendly bunch and we need more Irish conc netters!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Concertina folks.

Thanks for the explanation. And welcomesmile.gif here , we are a friendly bunch and we need more Irish conc netters!

Many thanks Michael.

Mary Ellen Curtin who is featured on "Keepers of Tradition" is 88 today .(16/2/2010) She gave up playing for almost 50 yrs and took it up again (like Kitty Hayes) when her family bought her a concertina on her 80th. birthday.

“KEEPERS OF TRADITION” Concertina Players of County Clare was warmly received at its launch in Cois na hAbhna on Friday Night January 29th. when 28 musicians from Clare and beyond took the stage. Highlight of the night was the performance of thirteen concertina players young and old who took centre stage for several selections. The Cois na hAbhna Archive presentation was launched by Tim Collins. Produced by Comhaltas Reachtaire , Joe O’Connor (Miltown Malbay) and Frank Whelan (Ennis) it is available from Cois na hAbhna , Ennis 065 6824276 (reachtairecce@eircom.net) and Custy’s Music Shop Ennis

Edited by reachtaire