Barham Down any leads?

michael sam wild

We heard Sam Sweeney ( on EC) and Hannah James (Piano Accordion)play this great two part 3/2 hornpipe on Tuesday night at a snowey Royal Concertinas session up on't moors at Dungworth Any sources or the dots or ABC? They said it was a Playford tune.. Barham Down is inKent , it has a windwill on it. Tune must come from 1600s

I went on this Playford site but couldn't find it.

Excellent Playford resource though!

http://www.les-plais...layford1698.htm

This is Laurel Swift on fiddle teaching it

The link to Elke Baker the superb US scottish style fiddler has it with some other 3/2 hornpipes. she's playing them at a fast and vigorous dance speed.

I wonder why 3/2 died out? Look at the exuberance of her expression and movement. The tapping of the audience's feet shows how catchy it is

Edited by michael sam wild

I wonder why 3/2 died out? Look at the exuberance of her expression and movement. The tapping of the audience's feet shows how catchy it is

Well, 3/2 hasn't quite died out, Mike. Fiddle player John Offord has produced a newly updated version of his book, John of the Green - The Cheshire Way, which is full of 3/2 tunes. Here is the link, John of the Green - The Cheshire Way to find out more and to order a copy.

Chris

We heard Sam Sweeney ( on EC) and Hannah James (Piano Accordion)play this great two part 3/2 hornpipe on Tuesday night at a snowey Royal Concertinas session up on't moors at Dungworth Any sources or the dots or ABC? They said it was a Playford tune.. Barham Down is inKent , it has a windwill on it. Tune must come from 1600s

[...]

It's in Peter Barnes' 1st (blue) book............

Here is Peter's "blue" book (there is now also a volume 2 in red). I first heard the tune in a very energetic recording by the wonderful band, Bare Necessities. Here is a link to the CD that it's on (at the top of the page).

3/2 is not dead, nor is the Playford repertoire in general. I spent an hour and a half this afternoon at a session where we played nothing but. There are events all over the place where you can go to dance to it.

There is a excellent arrangement of three 3/2 tunes by Simple Gifts.

Simple Gifts webpage.

They do Waters of Holland, Easter Thursday and Barham Downs on their CD "Other Places, Other Times" and you can buy a music book with the CD. Many of the tunes in the book is arranged for two to four instruments.

There is a excellent arrangement of three 3/2 tunes by Simple Gifts.

Simple Gifts webpage.

They do Waters of Holland, Easter Thursday and Barham Downs on their CD "Other Places, Other Times" and you can buy a music book with the CD. Many of the tunes in the book is arranged for two to four instruments.

Interesting that all these tunes are also on the earlier Bare Necessities recording I mentioned above. "Waters of Holland" is not in 3/2, however, but 4/4.

Well, 3/2 hasn't quite died out, Mike. Fiddle player John Offord has produced a newly updated version of his book, John of the Green - The Cheshire Way, which is full of 3/2 tunes. Here is the link, John of the Green - The Cheshire Way to find out more and to order a copy.

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks. I have John of the Green book etc etc But I think the live playing had died out . I do remember songs from the 60s in 3/2 and a few tunes from the Northumbrian tradition but again I don't know if they were live or revived. Vickers and Pete Stewart's books are thick with them. Jamie Knowles did a great job with them and Brian Peters is fond of them

The Hexamshire Lass is a great 3/2 song.

A number of people have said they haven't died out. But I think there was a hiatus and those played now were revivals . Any other information on the transition to common form of hornpipe in 4/4 would be welcome .

This article by Paul Davenport of South Yorkshire is very helpful

http://www.hallamtrads.co.uk/Research_files/Hornpipe.pdf

Try here

Might be the answer

Hi Lester

As I commented on Mel net that's in 6/8 but same name

Geoff Wright who was also there on Tuedsday last went looking for it and has put the 3/2 on The Session site under tunes

http://www.thesessio...s/display/10194

.......3/2...not dead yet.....two commonly played N/E English session tunes. Just played them today in Cambridge (Ontario) Robin

...and followed by "Our cat has kitted" (at the sesion site) around here.

This 3/2 (If you will not have me, you may let me go) is my current favourite ... if I can get my fingers round it!

Chris

Edited by spindizzy